Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baruch

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:40 pm
Any English name ideas for Baruch??
Was thinking Bruce or Bernard but looking for some more options…

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:48 pm
Barry, of course.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:50 pm
Small reminder: you're required to have the same phonetic spelling on all of your ID documents, all over the world.

So if your child ever makes aliyah, his legal name will be his name in Hebrew - be it ברנרד, ברוס, בארי, or any other name you choose.

Would you rather he be ברוך?

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:52 pm
My father was Baruch and Bennet.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:55 pm
Rappel wrote:
Small reminder: you're required to have the same phonetic spelling on all of your ID documents, all over the world.

So if your child ever makes aliyah, his legal name will be his name in Hebrew - be it ברנרד, ברוס, בארי, or any other name you choose.

Would you rather he be ברוך?

When I made Aliyah I was able to change my name (my middle name only, my first name is the same in English and Hebrew) to my Hebrew name. I think that legally changed it in America, but I haven't gotten any new documents since then so I'm honestly not sure. My teudat zehut has my old name listed as a previous name.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 4:14 pm
Bernard is pretty old fashioned if that matters to you.
I was considering Barry or Brian but couldn’t decide and ended up putting down Baruch.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:52 am
Brian

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:59 am
When DH made Aliya, he changed to his Hebrew name. When he renewed his US passport, they put his English name on the beach with a legal AKA.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 7:42 am
Brandon
Bryan
Bradley
Brody

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 8:26 am
Bart

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 8:32 am
My husband is baruch, English name Bernard, and it’s so old fashioned I can’t stand it
Btw, non Jews can pronounce baruch the way it’s pronounced in the name of the college, it’s not so complicated that way

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:44 am
I made my kids legal names like David and Joseph but for baruch I just put baruch and I pronounce it like the college (ba-rook)

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:06 am
I never really understood the need for having a "legal name" in addition to a Hebrew one. I think it's confusing sometimes. I wish I just had my Hebrew name on all of my documents, would make things more simple.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 1:46 pm
Benedict, which has the advantage of being a direct translation, coming from Latin benedictus, meaning "blessed."

It's not quite as old fogeyish as Bernard, nor as גוייש as the Irish Brian and Brendan or the New Testament Bart, short for Bartholomew.

Bennett is a derivative of Benedict. And you could always call him just plain Ben.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:32 pm
zaq wrote:
Benedict, which has the advantage of being a direct translation, coming from Latin benedictus, meaning "blessed."

It's not quite as old fogeyish as Bernard, nor as גוייש as the Irish Brian and Brendan or the New Testament Bart, short for Bartholomew.

Bennett is a derivative of Benedict. And you could always call him just plain Ben.

My husband isn't too keen on putting down the child's name before the bris and naming, so we usually try to come up with an easy name starting with the same letter.
With one of my kids we had decided on a name and matching legal name and then switched last minute to ברוך, right before filling out the birth certificate at the hospital.
We quickly needed to come up with a name starting with the letter B that wouldn't be too hard to spell or pronounce and went with "Ben".

Sometimes people do assume now that his name is actually Benjamin/בנימין.

It's interesting to see that it wasn't such an off the mark choice.

(We've done "nicknamey" legal names with our other kids, too like Avi, Riki, Dan, Jay, Mimi etc.)

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any English name ideas for Baruch??
Was thinking Bruce or Bernard but looking for some more options…

I know a Baruch that is Bryan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names