Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
We take plumbing for granted

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:03 am
so one day my dd calls out it's pouring in the basement ... hm ... how to figure out the puzzle "where is this water coming from" so it's a process of elimination ... so I've been a plumber this week ... snaked the sewer drains ... checked everywhere for leaks ... the dynamics behind a simple toilet bowl is amazing - so thought I would share: first we have this porcelain goddess that we run to - speaking of elimination - in times of need ... we flush water down and away it all goes ... simple so it seems ... but inside the tank not only are there water supply valves to bring the water in there are flush valves and overflow tubes to make sure the water goes in and out as needed without flooding ... how about underneath the toilet ... where does all the stuff go ... there is a hole to a sewer pipe that leads the sewage to a mainline in the streets ... but to seal that pipe there are all sorts of screws and wax rings and traps where we keep water so as not to allow toxic fumes to escape into our home as well as vent stacks eliminating gaseous toxins via the roof ... cleaning all this out to work properly requires a strong nose, a 50 or 100 ft snake, some leather gloves so you don't rip your hand apart, and a lot of muscle ... Help Help Help

right about now I think an outhouse sounds more appealing ...

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:11 am
You do this all yourself???? You're amazing! I never take these things for granted. I lived in a house that flooded for about 8 mths. THE WORST 8 MONTHS OF MY LIFe!

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:18 am
yes - I do ...

so if you will all say "asher yatzar" with more kavana today ... I will be happy ... What

sunshine!

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:24 am
If you see how complex the plumbing systems in our homes, can you imagine how complex our bodies plumbing systems are?? Asher Yatzar with more Kavana is definitely warranted!

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 10:45 am
oh and if anybody wants to join me for a 9 days shower ... byob (bring your own bucket) I'll be in my backyard - I'll supply shampoo & soap ... yup the shower leads to the same sewer pipe - whadya know ...

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:18 am
If you think that is interesting. What happens to the sewage after it leaves you house is even more interesting.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:27 am
Before I had my kids I was an assistant Municipal Engineers. I loved my job. But I wasn't allowed to talk about it because people thought it was gross to talk about sanitary sewer pipes. It never phased me and never grossed me out. I went to a treatment plant once and thought it was amazing. It is so true that people take their bathrooms working for granted. To me its the most amazing invention. It is one of the main reason that disease is not rampant like it was in the past.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:32 am
I don't take plumbing for granted. I've had the water in the building cut off when I lived in apartment buildings...oh the horrid memories...especially when they did it without announcing.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 12:18 pm
so I'd like to make a l'chaim back to normal plumbing ... I was told I saved well over $1,000 and I spent less than $100 renting tools and purchasing replacement pvc ... I can put my bucket back to regular use and shower indoors ... yippeeeeee - I did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunken Smile Nervous

RedVines

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 2:34 pm
I spent a pesach in Ukraine, I will NEVER take toilets, sinks, hot water etc. for granted EVER!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics