Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
15 month old suddenly afraid of water

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:58 pm
My baby always LOVED the bath… there was even a point in time until recently that he would shriek when I’d take him out.
From one day to the next he’s suddenly so afraid… I can’t bathe him normally. I tried sitting him down and holding his hand the whole time but he’ll fight me and stand up, crying hysterically out of fear..
Anyone ever had such an experience?
Anyone have any ideas/tips to help me help him get over the fear?
I just bathed him now, and my husband took him out of the bath.. he didn’t want to look at me… tears are just coming, because I feel like such a horrible mother…

chanatron1000

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:15 am
Babies reach a new stage of awareness, and suddenly they learn to be scared of things that didn't scare them before. It gets better with time as they get used to things, usually.
For now, you can reduce the number of baths and sponge bathe him or use wipes. To reduce the fear, the key is to get him to associate the bath with calm and happy experiences. So, for example, if getting in the bath with him makes him calm down, you can try that. If he has a favorite song, you can play it while he's in the bath. You can let him "bathe" some of his toys in a bowl of water.

Brit in Israel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:38 am
I had it, I would put them a quick shallow bath giving reassurance constantly and trying to talk things to distract. With my 3rd I would put her with an older sister she loved when possible.
Bought new toys for the bath and if needed skipped the conditioner in the hair. Just tried getting past the stage really, it BH ended a couple of months later.

I'm wondering if it's best that you also take them out if you bathed them so they know as soon as it's over you are taking them out I stead of abba is saving me.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:41 am
Does he have a rash or wound or something that might have been hurting him when he went into the bath?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:34 am
Right, so yes, he has toys to play with, doesn’t have older siblings to join, and I do take him out now as soon as I’m done…
I do appreciate the assurance of you all!
B”H no rash or anything…

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:54 am
This is so normal. I remind myself that babies need baths because they need to be clean. I'm not hurting them. I do as quick and as loving as possible. Part of being a mom. Same as going to the doc when they scream and holler.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 4:28 am
Op, each of my kids have that stage. It happens from one second to the next and disappears from one second to the next. I never really thought into it.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 4:38 am
Lol this is my thread from last year

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....00213

It was a really short phase in the end but I was worried.

P3aches

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 5:32 am
Both my kids (15 months & 2.5) are terrified. They’ve been like this since Pesach 😭 I keep trying to wait it out and hope it will get better. I’ve tried everything: new toys, special lights, playing cocomelon on a nearby laptop, but nothings working yet 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 8:25 am
Thank you all so so much for reassuring me!!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 9:11 am
It's cognitive awareness

My 14 month old is going through the same. It's so hard on him and on me too!

smss

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:02 am
Put on a bathing suit and get in with him.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:04 am
Every one of my kids went through this stage. I put on a bathing suit and go inside and hold them on my lap for a couple of baths and we're back to normal.

ellacoe

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 10:17 am
I had this with a child. What I did was I filled up two big tubs of water on the floor in the kitchen and let him play with it. I then added soap to one so it was all bubbly. He sat and played with them, moving the bubbles back and forth between them etc. We talked about how fun it was etc. and not scary. That night he went back to taking a bath without tears.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics