Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Oven only

teajoygreye

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 1:57 pm
My crockpot lid shattered and I am stuck with my Shabbos mode oven only for this Shabbat. Dinner is easy as I always use it for that.

What do you all make in the oven for Shabbat lunch or fully cook ahead that can be halachically reheated in Shabbos mode oven for lunch? I am cooking for 2 adults and 2 preschoolers, so we're talking small portion.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:13 pm
I mean ask your LOR, but based on what I’ve learned there’s absolutely no way to stick food into an oven on Shabbos. Do you have a blech or hot plate? Can you borrow one?

care4u

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:13 pm
Hot navel pastrami?

teajoygreye

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:16 pm
teachkids wrote:
I mean ask your LOR, but based on what I’ve learned there’s absolutely no way to stick food into an oven on Shabbos. Do you have a blech or hot plate? Can you borrow one?

No, we always just use our oven on Friday evening (timed to turn off just before dinner) and crockpot for Saturday day. We are snowed in so no borrowing.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:18 pm
teajoygreye wrote:
No, we always just use our oven on Friday evening (timed to turn off just before dinner) and crockpot for Saturday day. We are snowed in so no borrowing.

Anyone on your block you can borrow from? Otherwise you might just be stuck with cold food. Sorry. Worth a call to your rabbi to see if he has other advice- you’re not the only one to get stuck.

(I wonder if you could just add extra water to your crockpot and cover with foil and then a plate or something)

teajoygreye

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:20 pm
teachkids wrote:
Anyone on your block you can borrow from? Otherwise you might just be stuck with cold food. Sorry. Worth a call to your rabbi to see if he has other advice- you’re not the only one to get stuck.

(I wonder if you could just add extra water to your crockpot and cover with foil and then a plate or something)

We live in northern WA. No one else frum less than an hour walk in the snow.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:22 pm
You can take out tonight's food before lighting and leave in a pan for tomorrow on Shabbos mode of cholent or yapchik etc at a very low temp like 225 and then open it once tomorrow for food left in from before Shabbos.

(Not everyone holds of shabbos mode, but if you do, this is the star k psak)

socialbutterfly

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:44 pm
teachkids wrote:

I think sephardim may hold it's fine.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:55 pm
teajoygreye wrote:
My crockpot lid shattered and I am stuck with my Shabbos mode oven only for this Shabbat. Dinner is easy as I always use it for that.

What do you all make in the oven for Shabbat lunch or fully cook ahead that can be halachically reheated in Shabbos mode oven for lunch? I am cooking for 2 adults and 2 preschoolers, so we're talking small portion.

I cover my slow cooker with plates, lids from my pots and pans, baking sheets. Basically anything I can stick on top. The original lid is long gone.

cheeesecake

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:02 pm
You can make a blech if you have gaz leave a fire on low and make a sheet out of a few layers of foil to put on top than you can leave your cholent on

Leahh

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You can take out tonight's food before lighting and leave in a pan for tomorrow on Shabbos mode of cholent or yapchik etc at a very low temp like 225 and then open it once tomorrow for food left in from before Shabbos.

(Not everyone holds of shabbos mode, but if you do, this is the star k psak)

Why can't she remove what she needs for tonight on shabbos and leave the other food in?

Op, use an aluminum pan to cover your crockpot.
Make chulent in the oven or stove top.
Corned beef or pastrami in the oven

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:19 pm
Oven baked schnitzel and sweet potatoes and any roasted veggie

Meatballs and rice

SDmother

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:25 pm
Leahh wrote:
Why can't she remove what she needs for tonight on shabbos and leave the other food in?

You can't open the oven while it is on unless you take all the food out.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:29 pm
SDmother wrote:
You can't open the oven while it is on unless you take all the food out.

There are different opinions on this

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:34 pm
Leahh wrote:

When you open the oven the temperature changes, and when you close it again, it will readjust. This causes melacha of cooking on shabbos. Therefore you can open it once to remove all the food on shabbos, one time, and that's it. Nothing else can stay in the oven.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....w_wcB

"As previously noted, aside from the prohibition of cooking on Shabbos, there is a prohibition against initiating a fire or causing increased burning. In the case of thermostatically controlled ovens and warming drawers, opening the oven or warming drawer will cause a mechanism to increase burning in order to compensate for the loss of heat by opening the door or drawer. The resulting effect is a grama of Ha’avara, which is not permissible on Shabbos. However, as explained earlier, where one does not want or intend for an action to take place and has no need for its result, the initial action is prohibited by rabbinic law only. When coupled with the fact that the ensuing melacha is a reaction that was brought about indirectly and initiated through a grama, there is room for leniency and the initial action is permitted.

Therefore, food left in the oven or warming drawer from before Shabbos may be removed on Shabbos despite the fact that this action will eventually cause the oven to produce additional heat. This is because removing the food results in additional burning that is not wanted or intended. However, this can be said only when all of the food is removed at one time. If some food remains in the oven to be heated, the additional burning caused by opening the door is viewed as intentional and is, therefore, prohibited."

Leahh

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
When you open the oven the temperature changes, and when you close it again, it will readjust. This causes melacha of cooking on shabbos. Therefore you can open it once to remove all the food on shabbos, one time, and that's it. Nothing else can stay in the oven.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....w_wcB

"As previously noted, aside from the prohibition of cooking on Shabbos, there is a prohibition against initiating a fire or causing increased burning. In the case of thermostatically controlled ovens and warming drawers, opening the oven or warming drawer will cause a mechanism to increase burning in order to compensate for the loss of heat by opening the door or drawer. The resulting effect is a grama of Ha’avara, which is not permissible on Shabbos. However, as explained earlier, where one does not want or intend for an action to take place and has no need for its result, the initial action is prohibited by rabbinic law only. When coupled with the fact that the ensuing melacha is a reaction that was brought about indirectly and initiated through a grama, there is room for leniency and the initial action is permitted.

Therefore, food left in the oven or warming drawer from before Shabbos may be removed on Shabbos despite the fact that this action will eventually cause the oven to produce additional heat. This is because removing the food results in additional burning that is not wanted or intended. However, this can be said only when all of the food is removed at one time. If some food remains in the oven to be heated, the additional burning caused by opening the door is viewed as intentional and is, therefore, prohibited."

Thank you for this explanation but I do believe there are different opinions on this.
This is also where shabbos mode may help. I do not "hold" by shabbos mode in that I do not adjust the oven but being that the oven turns on and off randomly, the oven door being opened does not directly cause the oven to turn on.
There are also people that hold that if the oven is on already, which you can usually see through the door, then it's also not a problem as you're not causing it to go on.

way2go

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 4:06 pm
I was told to put the oven on the temp I would have it on and check if I see the fire turn on immediately when I open the door. If it doesn't it's ok to open to take food out that was put in before shabbos. We do this every time yt heads in to shabbos and my oven is left on

teajoygreye

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 6:41 pm
Leahh wrote:
Thank you for this explanation but I do believe there are different opinions on this.
This is also where shabbos mode may help. I do not "hold" by shabbos mode in that I do not adjust the oven but being that the oven turns on and off randomly, the oven door being opened does not directly cause the oven to turn on.
There are also people that hold that if the oven is on already, which you can usually see through the door, then it's also not a problem as you're not causing it to go on.

Yeah, our oven will only turn on at a random intervals with the door closed in shabbos mode... but we just only open when it is already on anyway (it won't turn off from opening). You can easily see if the flame is on through the door.

Anyway we ended up deciding just to do a pastrami quiche for lunch for this week, since it's fine cold or room temp

meyerlemon44

Post Sat, Jan 20 2024, 6:25 pm
teajoygreye wrote:
We live in northern WA. No one else frum less than an hour walk in the snow.

I would love to hear more about your lifestyle there, what you do for schooling, shul, etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus