Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to get DS into the CARSEAT!!! ARGH!!!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:11 pm
So, how do I get ds into his carseat without a major meltdown??? Also, then he goes into the front seat and pulls on the emergency brake and DESTROYS the car. It's a constant fight and I find myself yelling at him Sad .

Help!!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:12 pm
How old is he exactly?

anonymom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:15 pm
My two year old learned to buckle his top buckle, so he loves when I "let" him do it.

One mother I knew kept a pack of small candies to give when the kids got in nicely. I don't think that's so bad, and if I needed to, I would definitely go for it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:19 pm
You can give him a special toy or sippy cup to hold when he is in the car seat.

Lilkingdom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:21 pm
Maybe get a dvd player in the car. It'll entertain him and keep him busy.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:24 pm
He's two - I always bribe him with snacks and toys. As for the buckle thing, maybe I'll try that. As for the dvd player, we don't watch videos, but thanks.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:27 pm
Tell him he can only go to the exciting place if he is sitting in his seat otherwise you have to stay in the house and show him that you mean it.

Ds learnt to buckle himself in. A minute after we're driving, he unbuckles himself too-hopefully you will not have that issue.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:43 pm
I've told him we won't go to a good place. He doesn't care. Also, I have to physically pull him out of the front seat. He doesn't listen.

mumoo

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:09 am
How many times do you tell him before you have to pull him out? When we request of children and get non-compliance- more than once, we unwittingly teach them not following direction is ok, at least some of the time.

Parents who give "warnings" have the same problem.

Children learn better with consistent consequences. If you ask him to move out of the front seat (and why can't he go right into the carseat without a side trip?) and he doesn't, that is the time to physically remove him.

And as far as him crying about being buckled in, my mother says, better he should cry than you (referring to ch"v not having them be in a safe seat).

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:57 am
have a special car toy ... only for the car ... and do not give him a choice ... either he sits nicely or you go back into the house ...

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:07 am
Mimisinger wrote:
I've told him we won't go to a good place. He doesn't care. Also, I have to physically pull him out of the front seat. He doesn't listen.

After you physically pull him out time after time (no negotiations) he'll get the message. Chinuch takes time. Otherwise, your option is to up the ante on the bribes he's already used to. Maybe he's holding out for something better. Promise him his own car Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics