Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to serve instead of gefilte fish
Previous  1  2

Traveller247

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:34 pm
Tao wrote:
My sister and I were laughing at the price of gefilte these days. The ENTIRE point of gefilte is that yidden couldn't afford fish, so they got all the gross parts and shmushed them with cheap stuff to make affordable gefilte. And these days it's a fortune! Gotta laugh at the 180 degree turn it's taken.
I don't buy gefilte because I find it doesn't get eaten. If I do serve, I'll cut a log into 3 and serve 1/3. I serve sushi salad which can work out not so expensive because you don't need to put a lot of protein since there's other cheaper stuff, like rice and vegetables, to take over.

As far as I know, gefilte was created so that there are no borer problems because there's no skin and bones. It might have been embraced because of the money though!

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Can I have your sushi salad recipe? I don't like raw fish so called Salmon sounds good!

Sushi rice and canned salmon is much more expensive than gefilte

egam

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I’m so clueless that I don't understand how can one loaf of gefilte for Shabbos cut thin is too expensive.

And may you never have a time in your life that will make you to understand.
But it’s clearly not the case for the OP and if you don’t have any practical suggestions, maybe you should refrain from posting on the matter?

OP,

Maybe you should try to stretch it by adding vegetables and turning it into patties or fish balls? Or make tuna patties from 2 cans and add veggies.

Something like this. Use defrosted gefilte, add a little bit more potatoes, maybe bell peppers.

https://jewishunpacked.com/spi.....-1690

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:39 pm
Gefilte fish cost money. No one's arguing. But all food cost money. Unless you're replacing it with something cheaper, you're not saving money.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:41 pm
I serve my thin gefilte slices as part of a salad course. The salads include potato salad, pasta salad, bean salad, cucumber salad, sometimes chumus (sometime homemade) and/or sparlik, and occasionally a romaine-based salad (I check my own lettuce).

The advantage of slicing the gefilte fish thin is that everyone can get a piece even if I only use part of the roll, but tuna salad everyone needs a scoop and that requires a good few cans.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:52 pm
What about fish patties? You can add breadcrumbs from last weeks challah to “ cut” the fish.
If you want a non fish you can try making falafel balls serve on a shmear of chumus

Dolly151

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:33 pm
Morrocan fish. Kosher.Com had a really good recipe from bracha Jaffe. You can use cheap frozen fish, not salmon. I use frozen tilapia and it comes out extremely cheap. Also bc the sauce is yummm, it can be a dip as well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics