Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Can I stop giving my son his 1mg guanfacine cold turkey?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:50 pm
He’s been on 1 mg ER guanfacine for months. For the past few weeks he has terrible constipation which can be a side effect of the guanfacine. I want to stop giving him the medication to see if the constipation will go away but it says online that withdrawal symptoms can be high blood pressure, anxiety etc and to go off of it slowly, however he already on the lowest dose. Can I just stop giving him the 1mg? Anyone have experience with this?

(Yes I’m planning to ask his psychiatrist but it takes time to get an appointment)

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:00 pm
I was told that I could stop cold turkey but he was only on for 2 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:34 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I was told that I could stop cold turkey but he was only on for 2 weeks.

Thank you. I guess it was also 1mg? Why did you want to stop?

New2Lakewood

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
He’s been on 1 mg ER guanfacine for months. For the past few weeks he has terrible constipation which can be a side effect of the guanfacine. I want to stop giving him the medication to see if the constipation will go away but it says online that withdrawal symptoms can be high blood pressure, anxiety etc and to go off of it slowly, however he already on the lowest dose. Can I just stop giving him the 1mg? Anyone have experience with this?

(Yes I’m planning to ask his psychiatrist but it takes time to get an appointment)

OP, why don't you ask his pediatrician? If you can't get an appointment with the psychiatrist right away perhaps the pediatrician would be willing to discuss the side effects and if it's safe to stop "cold turkey"

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:44 pm
My daughter had that problem the first few months and then it stopped. We waited it out. I think it comes from not drinking enough.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:45 pm
I’d probably get the regular version, not extended release and cut it in half.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 8:06 pm
OP if he's been taking it for months and the constipation only started recently, I doubt that's due to the guanfacine. Having said that, IMO it would not be problematic to stop a 1 mg dose. But your best bet is to call a pharmacist to ask if it's necessary to wean or could you just stop. Pharmacists are great resources.
Constipation remedies: massively increase water intake, prune juice, kiwi fruit, stewed fruits like what would be in tsimmes

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:40 pm
Thank you everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)