Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Did you have a bike?

Did you have a bike as a child
No I never had a bike  
 5%  [ 16 ]
Yes of course!  
 32%  [ 90 ]
Yes and my kids also have bikes  
 56%  [ 157 ]
No, but my kids all have bikes now  
 5%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 279

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:00 pm
Discussion we were having today
Did you have a bike as a child?
Do your children have bikes now?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:04 pm
I voted yes but I really only had a bike for one or two summers when we went upstate. Most summers we spent in the city and I never rode a bike there.

Now I live out of town and bh my kids all have bikes.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:08 pm
I had a bike at all ages and used it through high school and my kids all have as younger kids. Boys get new as they get older because they keep riding and I encourage it, girls usually lose interest at some point, I’m not opposed to my older girls riding but it’s just not a common thing in our community and I don’t push it.

Last edited by mommyhood on Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:08 pm
Growing up we all had bikes, and we rode them all the time in the spring/summer months. Now my kids have bikes but for some reason they rarely, if ever, use them.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:20 pm
Do people not have bikes? I didn't even know it was a thing not to have bikes...

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:17 pm
I had a bike but my kids do not.

We only used our bikes in our backyard. We rarely rode them in the street/on the sidewalk.

I didn't get my kids bikes because our backyard currently isn't that big. I don't want my kids biking to school or friends yet.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:09 am
No. In the neighborhood where I grew up girls didn't ride bikes at any age, it was deemed not tzanua.My brothers all had bikes.

My kids, daughters and sons, had bikes if they wanted them.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:17 am
Growing up in the Midwest, having a bike was 👍🏻👍🏻

Roots

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:29 am
I live in israel! of course my kids have bikes, and rollerblades and scooters and bimbas Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 3:20 am
I saved up and bought myself a bike (Royce Union) when I was 12. I had one other girl in my BY class who rode a bike and we'd ride around together. About a year later someone made a comment to me how girls my age don't ride bikes. I literally never noticed but it was true and I stopped riding. My kids all have bikes though they stop riding as the get older. My teenage girls will go with friends to a bike park and ride on trails but they won't ride around the neighborhood.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:58 am
No. Only my oldest brother did. I think we just couldn’t afford it and didn’t have where to store it either . We lived in a neighborhood where bikes were stolen if not locked up.
My brother’s bike was stolen more than three times .

But my kids all have bikes from when they are the age age of being able to ride one. We start with riding toys , move on to tricycles, training wheels and then two wheelers. When we lived in small apartments without storage we did not own any bikes for the kids either . Once we moved to homes with storage we bought bikes for the kids .

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 7:24 pm
I grew up in a very simple poor family and we all had bikes. In Brooklyn 15-20 years ago. We rode bikes around the block all the time in the spring in summer. I didn't know anyone who didn't have a bike! We did stop riding in public around bas mitzvah age for tznuis reasons.

zigi

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 8:58 pm
I had a bike, my kids sometimes had bikes, they have scooters. Easier to store and bring up and down stairs

Sunflower11

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:04 pm
Of course we had bikes! And my children do too! Integral part of youth LOL

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:38 pm
We always had bikes but not the ones I drooled over- like pink with streamers. Now I have little girls and they have the shiniest new bikes with streamers and frills. And no they don't even appreciate it but I buy it for myself Smile

YounginBP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:53 pm
Yes. We did spend most summers upstate.
Can't remember if I had one in the 'city'?
Roller blades for sure.

I live in a small apartment and my kids have bikes. All the neighbors have.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:05 am
No
But I also never had a doll or a doll stroller or games.
My kids have bikes and scooters and roller blades

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:16 am
I might have shared with my siblings and only second hand because my parents are frugal but I have the best memories riding around the bungalow colony 7am breathing in the fresh air.

My kids have not skipped a size. Although some of them don’t use it so much. They also have scooters roller blades hoverboard with cart ( I think they are overwhelmed)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics