Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Any accountants on here?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 9:45 am
Hi! I have a question regarding my kids. They're dual citizens US/ Can and I'm only applying for a social security number for then now. I didn't file in the states last year bec I was waiting for the ss numbers for them. One accountant told my husband that we can't get any benefits retroactively and that filing with them included won't make a difference. Is that accurate? ( hope my question is clear)
Thank you

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi! I have a question regarding my kids. They're dual citizens US/ Can and I'm only applying for a social security number for then now. I didn't file in the states last year bec I was waiting for the ss numbers for them. One accountant told my husband that we can't get any benefits retroactively and that filing with them included won't make a difference. Is that accurate? ( hope my question is clear)
Thank you

It depends on what he means by “benefits.” Lots of people with low income can receive refundable tax credits for their kids (aka a tax refund even though you didn’t pay taxes.) He’s correct that you won’t get that retroactively if you’re only getting their SSN’s now.

Living in Canada, as a general, you shouldn’t have to pay any US taxes because of foreign tax credits. So based on the little bit you wrote here, I’d say it’s accurate that it won’t make a difference at this point if you include them in prior year filings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics