Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$50,000 part time?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:36 pm
I worked in education for many years, but as my family grew it became too difficult for me and I transitioned to working from home for a nonprofit. I don't want to get more specific to protect my privacy, but it's basically data analysis. I currently work 20 hours per week and I'm paid by the hour, which ends up being about $30,000 a year. My job is very flexible and they're fine with my taking unpaid days off on chol hamoed or whenever.
Our financial situation has become very tight due to inflation and new expenses, and I would like to increase my income. However, I literally cannot squeeze another hour of work into my week, as it is I'm barely able to manage all my responsibilities. So how can I increase my hourly pay? (My employer never gave inflation raises and last time I asked for a raise I got a very very tiny one.)
My skills include writing, teaching ,researching, and data analysis. My skills don't include promoting myself!!!

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:40 pm
Look for another job

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:42 pm
Thanks. Do you think it's possible to find a similar schedule for $50,000?

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:44 pm
I don’t think a 20 k raise is realistic if you like this job I would ask for a reasonable raise. 5-10k would be more appropriate

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:46 pm
No, I won't get even a $10 raise from them. I need a new job; the question is whether what I'm looking for exists.

amf

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:47 pm
It seems like OP is asking for ideas where she can earn 50K by working 20 hours/week
She knows to look for a new job. She knows she's not getting a 20K raise...

OP, I'm not in this field but I've heard medical billing can be very lucrative. Anyone know more?

You mentioned education- can you tutor? High level tutoring like SAT prep or college prep pays better

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:50 pm
Medical billing - I'm definitely open to hearing what people have to say about it.
Tutoring - wouldn't work for my schedule, unless there are college students looking for tutoring during the day?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:54 pm
If you share why you can't work more hours (is it because you have young babies or because you have health issues, etc) maybe we can brainstorm with you. Like maybe you could work full time but in a daycare so you see your baby (ies) or you work full time but with something that doesn't have set hours and you can work on your own schedule (sometimes I work Saturday nights---- might be nuts, but it works for me!)

Can your husband work a different job or more hours? Do you have any interest in working for yourself/ your own business?

There are definitely college students needing daytime tutoring. My friend tutors chemistry at the college where she's doing her PhD and it's great money per hour.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:59 pm
I work for a small business, 4 hours a day at $41,600. I basically run the business all aspects (bookkeeping, customer service etc). I didnt ask for a raise since June, bc the economy impacts our field tremendously and being that I also do finance I know there is no way the company can afford it. But by now I my work is valued at $50k-60k a year.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:01 pm
where do you live? do you have a teacher's license?
seits get paid about $70/hr... at 20 hrs a week, you should make that amount, keeping in mind being off for holidays and summers.

editted: actually calculated you would make $42,000 if you worked 30 full weeks... so maybe not, I donno...

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:04 pm
op I work in bookkeeping for 20 hours a week 50K annually
these jobs exist but you need to build up your name in the company to get what you ask for
(im working at the same place for 5 years and started out with 32 hours a week

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:06 pm
I live in NJ so we don't have SEIT. We do have early intervention which I'm considering, however, I cannot do 20 hours of EI because if you add in travel time, paperwork, calls to parents, it will end up more than that. I need the total work "package" to be 20 hours.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in NJ so we don't have SEIT. We do have early intervention which I'm considering, however, I cannot do 20 hours of EI because if you add in travel time, paperwork, calls to parents, it will end up more than that. I need the total work "package" to be 20 hours.

unless you can find cases in a playgroup

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:10 pm
That is an option. But I'm also interested in exploring more work from home options because it's more flexible and less exhausting. I have some needy kids of my own.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Do you think it's possible to find a similar schedule for $50,000?

Not 50 but I might have one for 40. How are you with bookkeeping?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:13 pm
you can do care management if you have a full caseload you can make like 65K
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics