Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Pre Upsherin/Family Photoshoot
Previous  1  2

mamadana

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 3:37 pm
As a photographer in Monsey, I can't say this enough: You get what you pay for.

You also have to know your standards. If you don't need gorgeous wall art but want pics for the sake of pics, you can go with someone just starting.

However, if you want your pics to melt your heart every time you look at it and want to display it in huge, you'll have to pay for that. There is a real science behind getting your pictures to look professional.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 3:39 pm
mamadana wrote:
As a photographer in Monsey, I can't say this enough: You get what you pay for.

You also have to know your standards. If you don't need gorgeous wall art but want pics for the sake of pics, you can go with someone just starting.

However, if you want your pics to melt your heart every time you look at it and want to display it in huge, you'll have to pay for that. There is a real science behind getting your pictures to look professional.

But wall art and huge pictures are not included in the $1K price tag! It's easily close to another $1K for that.

mamadana

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 3:48 pm
jmom18 wrote:
I understand editing takes time and skill. But if it’s just the editing, why can’t they just edit 5-7 images or whatever is part of their “package” and give the customer the raw images that were taken. It doesn’t cost them a cent more. And none of these expensive photographers who claim it’s the time and skill it takes to edit, allow you to have the raw images.

I hear your point. Firstly, why do you need 40 images of the same shoot? There's almost nothing you will do with it. The photographer makes it easy for you, selects the best ones, and then hand-edits each image to perfection. Photography, and especially editing, is an art.

If you don't see the value in that, feel free to take a Photoshop course and then an editing course, get practice and experience, and spend at least 300 hours to see for yourself. If you don't feel like spending all that energy, pay someone else to do it.

mamadana

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 3:52 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
But wall art and huge pictures are not included in the $1K price tag! It's easily close to another $1K for that.

For sure. Did you ever check out professional labs how much they charge? The markup isn't that big. That is the price of wall art.

It's the same with any art, you can hang up your child's kindergarten arts and crafts for free! You can hang art from Home Goods for $20 or you can buy an original from an artist directly for a lot more money.

Again, no one is begging you to use a photographer! You can take gorgeous pictures from your iPhone. It all boils down to: You get what you pay for.

mamadana

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 4:05 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
For $700 you should be getting more than 7 digital prints

Says who?

I know photographers who charge an average of 4K and another photographer who charges $150.

I probably won't ever spend 4K on a photoshoot, but I will never spend $150 either because the quality is not for my standards.

Dandelion21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 4:08 pm
Ella&Tom

Olive

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 4:29 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
How can I be misinformed if this is my actual experience with non jewish photographers? I've used several different ones over the years & always get more for my money from non jewish photographers.

Same experience here.

jmom18

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:54 pm
mamadana wrote:
I hear your point. Firstly, why do you need 40 images of the same shoot? There's almost nothing you will do with it. The photographer makes it easy for you, selects the best ones, and then hand-edits each image to perfection. Photography, and especially editing, is an art.

If you don't see the value in that, feel free to take a Photoshop course and then an editing course, get practice and experience, and spend at least 300 hours to see for yourself. If you don't feel like spending all that energy, pay someone else to do it.

Well, when I only have the option of getting 5 edited pics, of course I want the rest of the unedited images. 5 will be hung and the rest I’ll have as memories. I don’t see why photographers make such a big deal abt giving unedited images.

jmom18

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 6:56 pm
Dandelion21 wrote:
Ella&Tom

Thanks, I reached out to them. Their work is gorgeous and the prices are quite reasonable, meaning they’re not very cheap but you get your moneys worth.

Olive

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 8:09 pm
jmom18 wrote:
Well, when I only have the option of getting 5 edited pics, of course I want the rest of the unedited images. 5 will be hung and the rest I’ll have as memories. I don’t see why photographers make such a big deal abt giving unedited images.

They don't want their name on a not perfect photo.

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 11:48 pm
jmom18 wrote:
Thanks, I reached out to them. Their work is gorgeous and the prices are quite reasonable, meaning they’re not very cheap but you get your moneys worth.

I used them as well, their work is really professional and up to par with many of the big names and they are very reasonably priced.
You get a package of highly edited pictures, whatever amount you paid for and then I got a file of a bunch of images unedited.

prettyyou

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 11:59 pm
I had a great experience with Estee Schwimmer in Monsey, she's reasonably priced and I got 10 images edited. I loved the pictures I got and I also asked her for the rest of my images unedited and she gave me an additional 10 'lightly edited' pics
this is her link eschwimmerphotography.com, 8454223378
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art