Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help me help my toddler stop

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:13 pm
My 2 yo son has gotten very physical with my husband and myself recently. He is an only child. In the past, I would hold his hands firmly and say “mommy can’t let you hit” or “play gentle” but now when I do that he seems to get more triggered and will hit even more. Time out doesn’t seem to help. Any ideas of what I can do or books I can read? I read Good Inside but it seems to be geared to a bit older. TIA!

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:17 pm
Give him an alternative, redirect his energy. Be proactive to notice when it's happening. Tired hungry or needs physical activity?
Janet Lansbury is for this age. She has tons of articles and podcasts on hitting. And books

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 8:35 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Give him an alternative, redirect his energy. Be proactive to notice when it's happening. Tired hungry or needs physical activity?
Janet Lansbury is for this age. She has tons of articles and podcasts on hitting. And books

I’ll check out Janet Lansbury.
So it’s totally okay to redirect and make to mention of the hitting? I’m seeing that targeting the hitting is ineffective but wasn’t sure if it was poor chinuch to redirect all the time, especially when it’s aggressive like knocking off my husband’s glasses or hitting with a broom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics