Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Apneic episodes in full-term newborns
Previous  1  2

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
He does just fine with a paci in his mouth. So I think he breathes well through his nose.
He desats while sleeping and also while feeding by mouth. Also when he has just calmed down after being agitated. It's not clear if it's related to food or not.

I don't think this is his problem. But actually, a pacifier helps a baby breathe through their mouth if their nose is blocked. Maybe the NG is influencing him to breathe through his mouth, cause normally newborns don't do that.

Has he had imaging of his heart?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:33 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
I don't think this is his problem. But actually, a pacifier helps a baby breathe through their mouth if their nose is blocked. Maybe the NG is influencing him to breathe through his mouth, cause normally newborns don't do that.

Has he had imaging of his heart?

Yes. They did two echos

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:42 am
I have only experienced this with premie’s but my kids had caffeine till they were 35-36 weeks gestation.
It’s definitely worth asking about.
Some things I would pay attention to: does it happen at specific times of day? Before/ after or during eating? Are they self resolving or does baby need stimulation?
How is heart rate in general? Is it typically in normal ranges? How often are they happening?
Has baby had a swallowing study? Checked for reflux? Cardiology consult?

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:52 am
I had this with one baby. The hospital attributed it to reflux and his condition was managed with reflux meds until he was 2. If u have really bad heat burn, you know thr pain and babies too, get apnea from the pain. If they are laying him down flat after feeding or anytime actually, it would be making a situation worse and causing more apnea episodes

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 2:47 am
I would ask them for a triple scope, but good luck getting Columbia to do that…
My next best suggestion is going to sound crazy, but Cincinnati is top for airway issues, and I would look into transferring his/her care to Dr. Rutter get to the bottom of what’s causing the apnea spells.

Good luck and Refuah sheleima! Hope you find answers quickly

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. We have not heard one word about caffiene.
We were also told that the lungs seem fine...maybe that's why? Is the caffeine for the lungs?
We are being told that there is possibly miscoordination.

The caffeine is for the brain, not the lungs. It helps the immature brain remember to breathe.

It helps the baby remember to breathe, especially while sleeping and resting and protects the brain from injury from low oxygen from apneic episodes.

It isn't typical for a baby to be discharged on caffeine though. Usually it weaned and several days apea free off of caffeine are needed for discharge. It isn't usually used long term.

I would look into getting an Owlet for peace of mind if you expect to come home without a monitor.

Besoros tovos!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics