Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Puberty 8 yr old girl

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:28 pm
My daughter recently turned 8 years old. I just realized that she is starting to get small breast buds. She is my oldest. Did anyone have this with their girls at this age? Is she suppose to be totally flat or really small buds are normal?

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:35 pm
Many times it can be fat. Have the pediatrician examine her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Many times it can be fat. Have the pediatrician examine her.

Thats what I was thinking. She's due for an well visit anyway. She's a very good size (not overweight at all but not skinny skinny either).

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:37 pm
Go straight to an endocrinologist don’t waste a second. They are the only ones who can do proper testing. A pediatrician just delays the process. It’s technically precocious puberty if it’s actual buds. And you can decide if you want to do something about it or not. Just dealt with this

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:41 pm
At 8 they won't do anything. She might get her period earlier than her friends so prepare her but they won't give her anything to delay anymore.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Beige wrote:
At 8 they won't do anything. She might get her period earlier than her friends so prepare her but they won't give her anything to delay anymore.

That’s false they absolutely do plenty at 8. Literally just dealt with an 8 year old.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 7:54 pm
amother Amber wrote:
That’s false they absolutely do plenty at 8. Literally just dealt with an 8 year old.

It looks like fat around that area but I would rather check it out. Doesn't hurt I guess to just confirm its fat.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:51 pm
amother Amber wrote:

Im having this with my 8 yr old now and doctor told me this. Said it's still about 2 years until period but she'll likely get it very early compared to friends but 8 is considered an OK age to start prepuberty symptoms.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Im having this with my 8 yr old now and doctor told me this. Said it's still about 2 years until period but she'll likely get it very early compared to friends but 8 is considered an OK age to start prepuberty symptoms.

My 9 year old granddaughter was just treated by an endocrinologist for this. She got a shot to delay puberty and will get another in 6 months.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Beige wrote:

It’s not an ok age. Who said this the pediatrician? It’s not their field of expertise.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:13 pm
My 8 ye old has the same thing (she’s skinny) I thought it was normal until I came here

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:14 pm
I had breast buds at 8 and got my period at 11.5. That’s early side but not bad. I am 5”4 so not a abs height either. But for sure discuss with doctor

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:16 pm
My just turned 7 year old has this... and I got my period at 11

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Go straight to an endocrinologist don’t waste a second. They are the only ones who can do proper testing. A pediatrician just delays the process. It’s technically precocious puberty if it’s actual buds. And you can decide if you want to do something about it or not. Just dealt with this

Please do!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:21 pm
[quote="amother Forsythia"]I had breast buds at 8 and got my period at 11.5. That’s early side but not bad. I am 5”4 so not a abs height either. But for sure discuss with doctor[/quote

So I remember my mother buying me a "training bra" probably around my daughter's age. I won't be getting her one but I did get my period at 11.5 years old. So Mayne I had the same thing.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:22 pm
Another important piece is the rate of maturity. Precocious puberty can develop faster than regular puberty. Meaning you might not have 2-3 years to a period. Also young ages are common today that doesn’t make it normal it’s a difference. Best to get tested and speak to an endocrinologist. Find out your kid’s situation and what your options are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics