Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholov Yisroel vs Chalav Stam
Previous  1  2

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
So it’s more of if they can then why can’t I?

OP do you actually want to eat Chalav Stam or do you just feel uncomfortable to be doing something different than your friends?
Did you give up Chalav Stam when you got married?

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:40 pm
kenz wrote:
No, she’s saying she’s not allowed so she doesn’t. End of discussion. If OP views chalav stam as prohibited, which many of us do and her husband clearly prefers, it won’t be a question anymore. It’s simply not allowed.

Some spouses keep chalav yisrael but the other spouse does not. This isn’t a matter of black and white. If it’s bothering her she can have an open conversation with her husband not blindly submit to him.

peace2

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:49 pm
I hear you OP. I grew up eating chalav stam and stopped when I got married. My parents house has plenty of treats that I wish I could eat. For those saying what are you missing- you've obviously never tasted good chalav stam ice cream or Kit Kats (or snickers or reese's once we're fantasizing...)

A good perspective my husband gave me is that most of the chalav stam treats that I miss eating are actually super unhealthy and caloric so it's a good lifestyle choice in the long run. When we're travelling I can get a bag of pretzels but not a box of Entemmans or cheese curls (just listing all the stuff I miss lol). When the craving passes I'm happier not to have eaten the unhealthy snack than to feel gross from all the chemicals and sugar

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:49 pm
OP, you can education yourself about what cholov yisroel is. That might help. Here's something to listen to and something to read. Then, if you're still feeling uncomfortable, you can ask your rav what to do in your situation.

http://podcast.headlinesbook.c.....eter/
https://www.es.ok.org/koshersp.....airy/

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:57 pm
I grew up mostly eating cholov yisroel (my father made exceptions while traveling if there really wasn’t any cholov yisroel to be had) and now eat cholov stam mostly while traveling but on occasion at home.

You’re really not missing out on much. With the exception of 2 chocolates, the cholov yisroel ones are just as good. Klik is still my favorite.

Ben & Jerry’s happens to be really good and you can get it cholov yisroel in Israel. Haagen Dasz didn’t impress me.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:00 pm
If you should or shouldn’t eat it is not something I can answer you. My husband is in the food industry and associates a lot with mashgichim and people in kashrus. Todays days it’s very different regarding chalav yisroel or chalav stam. The cows are all milked by machines, and everything is mechanized. From the time the cows go to milk till they go back there isn’t a single person there. The only diff between chalav yisroel and stam is if there’s mashgiach looking at the security cameras while it’s happening. That’s as far as I know. I’m not sure this applies across the board for everywhere.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:03 pm
I can understand you. When I go to Costco or any store and see something good it’s ou-d. When I go oot and see good ou-d stuff and no take out or anything to satisfy my palette it’s not easy. Hashem knows my big nesayon is not eating ou-d. There are many items I would buy if it had a better hechsher. But bh there’s enough out there that I don’t have that nesayon on a daily or even weekly basis.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Viola wrote:
You're suggesting that chalav stam is comparable to treif?

No of course not.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:36 pm
I don’t get people who blindly submit to their husbands. The thought nauseates me. I have a brain and I use it in all areas of life. When it comes to my spirituality, the most important part of my life, I should just turn it off? Ridiculous.

I’ve researched it and I felt comfortable switching to eating OUD. My husband too. If he didn’t, that would definitely not stop me.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:36 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I don’t get people who blindly submit to their husbands. The thought nauseates me. I have a brain and I use it in all areas of life. When it comes to my spirituality, the most important part of my life, I should just turn it off? Ridiculous.

I’ve researched it and I felt comfortable switching to eating OUD. My husband too. If he didn’t, that would definitely not stop me.

Maybe their husbands are well versed in halacha and they actually respect them?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:40 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Maybe their husbands are well versed in halacha and they actually respect them?

I respect him and he respects me. He isn’t more halachically knowledgeable than me. Maybe that’s different for you. I’m constantly listening to Halacha shiurim and educating him because I find them interesting.

Maybe life isn’t black and white?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen