Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Low vision resources

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:23 pm
My young child was just diagnosed with low vision, 20/200, that can't be corrected with glasses. This is obviously very distressing and I am looking for chizzuk and ideas how to deal with it. Does anyone have/know of such a child and can tell me what were best things to do to help the child succeed in school and in their lives?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 8:53 pm
CSB Care - Computersciences.org - provides enlarged or braille (individualized as needed) books, siddurim, aleph binah to students with low vision or blindness.
My child has benefited tremendously from them.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:02 pm
I just heard about a expert eye doctor based in Chicago who is literally a miracle worker
Not cheap plus travel expenses if you don't live there, but, worth a try
I don't have the name or contact on me but can try to find out, or maybe someone knows what I'm talking about?
They will gladly give you their time over the phone to discuss your case and see if they can help before you spend the money.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:09 pm
Thank you both. Goldenrod, I would really appreciate the name and/or phone number the doctor in Chicago if it's possible for you to get that information.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:13 pm
You need to get them evaluated for vision therapy . Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:22 pm
I am in NJ, but willing to travel if good chance to significantly help. Can vision therapy help for underdeveloped optic nerves in both both eyes?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am in NJ, but willing to travel if good chance to significantly help. Can vision therapy help for underdeveloped optic nerves in both both eyes?

I don’t know resources in NJ but in NY I refer patients to lighthouse guild and NY commission for the blind.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:00 pm
Hi,
Of course, this is such hard news to hear at the same time I am visually impaired and there are so many resources out there.
There is a lot of technology help from the government as well as help from the frum world I am on the board of organization insight beyond eyesight you can Google us and give us a call we have a network of from families and many many resources.
Also as the other poster mentioned Csb care is really an amazing organization

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:01 am
I also just want to give you chizzuk. My relative is low vision, and there is so so much technology out there that makes a huge difference. Seriously amazing stuff.
Like an app that reads out loud if you take a picture of something written for example.
And enlarging things on phones.
The technology is a game changer.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:11 am
I went back-and-forth before deciding if I should post this but I decided I will just do this.
In regards to the miracle doctor mentioned above there are many doctors that will tell you that for certain money they will and can perform our miracles they even will have books of all the people that they cured. I have been taken to many of these doctors as a child besides for them not working and wasting your money they also make your child think that something is very wrong with them
Of course, as a mother we want to go to every length to make sure that we tried every possible treatment but if something sounds too good to be true it probably is just keep that in mind when looking around for these doctors that say that they can do anything
There is even a doctor right here in New York that told A family of a child I was working with who was totally blind her retinas were detached at birth that she could see again. This was very damaging the family is still in denial many years later
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics