Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
S/O living in Florida. Israel Edition
1  2  Next

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:36 am
I have the same thoughts about when real life hits you when moving to Israel. I totally understand the weather thing. The second warm weather hits me my mood is just better. For those who moved to Israel in your day to day life how often do you realize how awesome it is to live in Israel? Are you at the point of burn out where the mundane tasks of life get to you. I know the "culture" to be nice can be a bit much. From an outside perspective and to many around the world Israel is just this magnificent place. Obviously a trip there is different than real life. So my question is how often are you hit with the magnitude of living in the holiest country in the world?

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:51 am
It hasn't worn off for me yet, Baruch Hashem! When I'm walking or driving and see the breath-taking views in front of me, I say thank you Hashem for giving me the privilege to live in this beautiful and holy country!

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:53 am
Hm. Been in Israel for more than two decades. It doesn't get old. Living in Israel changes you as a person. That said, daily life is still daily life and it isn't any more "dreamy" to unplug a clogged drain in Israel, than in chu"l.

Success10

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:27 pm
The weather and the view from my porch alone make it a living vacation. BH. As far as the holiness, sometimes I forget, sometimes I have to pinch myself and ask if Im dreaming. I probably go to the kotel less frequently than many NYers. No, it's not daily paradise, it's not meant to be.
The opposite really. EY is only obtained through suffering. But I wouldn't trade it for any other existence.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:35 pm
Ive been in israel over 20 years. Of course we always try to remember the amazingness of living in Israel.
But there is also just the every day living. We are all just regular people, wives, hopefully mothers, employees, maybe employers etc. We are going about our daily lives and that is just normal. I am not thinking about how holy Israel is when I am standing in line at the supermarket every thursday after a long tiring day at work. Im thinking about getting home, taking off my shoes and relaxing. Im not thinking about the kedusha of eretz yisrael when I am at work or making super.
But then again, something amazing might happen, an "only in Israel" type story and you go "right, I live here, in Eretz HaKadosh, Eretz Yisrael. What a complete bracha and kavod that little old me gets to make my life in HaShem's country."

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:43 pm
Na I live in Bnei Barak. It sucks. Though I do appreciate the amazing schools my kids have here.
I am grateful to live in Israel, but if I could move to any other city tomorrow, I would.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:45 pm
My dream to be in EY!!! I live in America and dream about being in EY

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:46 pm
Living in EY for 17 years and it hasn't worn off.

grace413

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:02 pm
Living in Israel for many, many years and BH I am reminded almost daily of the zchut I have to live here.

Actually that's what makes the less positive things about life in Israel not just bearable but worthwhile.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Na I live in Bnei Barak. It sucks. Though I do appreciate the amazing schools my kids have here.
I am grateful to live in Israel, but if I could move to any other city tomorrow, I would.

What you don't like?

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:03 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:

I’m assuming there aren’t nice views in bnei beak like there are in yerushalayim. Is that right?
Why did you settle in bnei brak?

Rappel

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:06 pm
9 years, BH.

I don't deserve this much good

Last edited by Rappel on Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:08 pm
Day to day life is just as mundane and/ or stressful as it is anywhere else. That being said I live in a beautiful, scenic semi rural area, that takes my breath away everytime I leave the house including when I'm running off to my very stressful and demanding job.

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:11 pm
Success10 wrote:
The weather and the view from my porch alone make it a living vacation. BH. As far as the holiness, sometimes I forget, sometimes I have to pinch myself and ask if Im dreaming. I probably go to the kotel less frequently than many NYers. No, it's not daily paradise, it's not meant to be.
The opposite really. EY is only obtained through suffering. But I wouldn't trade it for any other existence.

Agree completely.
I'm here 13 years. It has not worn off at all.
The weather is amazing (except for last week Very Happy) and I have an incredible view from my porch.
October 7 was insane and scary but I've never wanted to be living here more than on October 8.
I feel the kedusha. Eating the fruit and vegetables of the land, walking in the footsteps of our ancestors (we hike a lot), having the zchut to be part of history, a front row seat to Mashiach's arrival. I love living here with every fiber of my being.
But as others have said, the mundane is still mundane here.
Traffic, long lines, clogged drains, etc. all happen here too. Life here is definitely not a vacation. However I do find the pace slower than ch"ul.

It's quite nice to be able to go to the Kotel and other holy places whenever I want, although I do have to also go to work every day so that doesn't happen as much as people think.

I appreciate living here every day.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:11 pm
When you leave work and take a five minute walk down to the Kotel to daven Mincha, you can't forget or fail to appreciate where you are living.

When you are trying to find the Hebrew to tell the plumber what is wrong, or argue with the Iriyah about your arnona bill you can't forget, either, but thats a bit less inspiring.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:28 pm
Sometimes I look at the breathtaking view of my window and just am speechless from the fact that for thousands of years people risked their lives to live here and many were unable to even do that and here I am! I live here! How in the world am I zoche to that??
But yes, I've been here over a decade and I think about it constantly- in the supermarket, on a bus, taking my kids to gan etc... I am so lucky to live here!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:34 pm
I have been living here for 5 years now. I feel like I am on an extended trip. I hope it never ends. That being said, my life is very relaxed. I have two kids, I am a SAHM and not many obligations though it does seem like much when I need to get to the other end of Jerusalemm for a doctors app or beaurocracy and it takes an hour in the traffic.

I do get super annoyed with the culture sometimes especially when men are sitting on the bus and pregnant or old women are standing. But there is hope because I am definitely mellowing...

The one thing I might never get used to though is the heat! I can't breathe in the summer. I spend time outdoors in late afternoon and it's hard!

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:38 pm
OP, I have the opportunity to fully answer your question bcz. I grew up and lived in Florida for many years and now live in Israel.
First of all, yes, Florida is amazing. I loved it when I lived there and I love going to visit.
But I GET TO LIVE IN ISRAEL!!!!!!
I love the weather - even when it's really hot it usually cools down at night- something that does not happen in Florida.
At work I talk to people- completely irreligious - or so they say, who pepper their speech with "בעזרת ה'". They crack me up how they're really into being irreligous- but wouldn't miss Friday night dinner - with kiddush of course- at their mother's house.
I drive into Yerushalayim and can't help singing - ירושלים הרים סביב לה, וה' סביב לעמו- מעתה ועד עולם
The quality of our youth- their fierce love of the land- their willingness to die for - but more importantly even, to live in and build up the land is incredible. My children BH can't understand how anyone could even think of living anywhere else.
I wish I had Target and Amazon Prime and Gourmet Glatt and really good sushi. But after 120 years, no matter what טענות Hashem has against me- and He will have many- at least he won't be able to say- "you traded Target etc. for the privilege of living in My land"

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 2:42 pm
repost

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 3:10 pm
All the time! Every day here is an unparalleled bracha that I only wish we came sooner. I wish every Jew knew what israel truly is and how she gives you her strength only when you conquer her, a visit is nothing close to the reality of living here every single day. You live a more Godly life, you live a life that is higher and deeper. It’s not always easy. In fact, for everyone that we hear of that had a failed aliyah or changed their mind, I wish I could do the same to take the easy way out. But, I could never live anywhere else. I understand the Jews that lived here and fought to their deaths. The Torah here is so much bigger and brighter. We have strength physically and mentally to do things we couldn’t do in the States. I could go on forever.

I was dragged on aliyah. I’ve become a Zionist and I’ve met my true self. The emptier you are of stuff or even of America, the greater the ability to become full on kedusha.

Thank you Hashem for pairing the You with us, the people of Israel, with Your country.

P.S. this is a response for those considering aliyah or Israelis. I’m not expecting anyone else to relate to these expressions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating