Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What to send for mom of NICU baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:28 pm
A friend of mine gave birth to a preemie. I want to send her something thoughtful but we're on a very tight budget. I can order lunch but it comes out pricey. Any other ideas? If you were a NICU mom, tell me what you appreciated.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:37 pm
Practical things for the hospital, healthy filling non perishable snacks, meals

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:37 pm
Whats your budget?

mamaG

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:39 pm
Yummy blanket or pillow or slippers. Something to make her overnight stays more
comfortable. I was there for 2 weeks and having a blanket and pillow I brought from home made all the difference

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:59 pm
As someone who is currently a Nicu mom;

Breakfast
Dinner

Homemade is perfectly fine.

Foods high in protein are ideal because I’m permanently starving because of pumping. Because we’re running to and from the hospital we don’t have time for a proper breakfast and we rely on others for dinner because there’s no time or energy to make it

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
As someone who is currently a Nicu mom;

Breakfast
Dinner

Homemade is perfectly fine.

Second this. Homemade is better.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:03 pm
Also, if they have kids at home, offer to babysit if you can, or get some sort of gift for the other kids because they’ll be feeling extremely neglected while the parents are busy with the baby

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:06 pm
One friend bought me snoods with a gift receipt so I could exchange if I didn't like the design. I lived in them!
I also got a reusable water bottle which also came in handy.
A large tote kind of bag came in handy when my babies were old enough to wear clothing in the nicu and I had to do laundry and shlep their clothes back and forth from my house.
An mp3 player filled with jewish music and a pair of earbuds. The hours in the nicu can get very boring!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:08 pm
Another gift that I currently really appreciate are books that I can read to the baby. You can’t go wrong with Dr Seuss!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:12 pm
It's so thoughtful of you. I really appreciated everything edible I got. I came home famished and devoured everything in my sight.
Someone sent me par baked frozen suppers. It was so appreciated! I defrosted them in the fridge and just rewarded it when I got home.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:18 pm
Maybe homemade muffins or energy balls.

I remember being starving all the time, and especially at night and just wanted something healthy and filling to snack on.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:41 pm
I recently had a baby in the NICU and I will echo others and suggest sending food for her is tremendous!!
You can't eat in the NICU itself when you are with your baby but when you step out to eat don't underestimate the power of a good nutritious meal especially if it was made by someone who cares

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:44 pm
My neighbor bought me a book. I really appreciated it because on Shabbos I was sad to be away from my baby.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:47 pm
Current NICU mom here, food is always helpful. Someone got me a cozy blanket with encouraging words on it and I sleep with it at night. It makes me feel cared for. It’s especially nice when I can’t get a hug from DH bc of niddah.

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:57 pm
Cut up fruits or vegetables in preportioned containers
Home made muffins or something to grab and go and eat.
Games/ toys for kids at home
Gift card/ target, Starbucks , Dunkin
Anything I got was really thoughtful and nice

bethab

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:00 pm
Why not a baby present? And a nice note telling her how you can’t wait till baby is home and can finally use it!

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:06 pm
I'll add -crafts or games for the others at home... Really hard on them...

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:07 pm
Delete

:)iknowit

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:10 pm
Recent nicu mom. I was constantly worried about my kids at home. Knowing they had food or a friendly face made me so much calmer.
I was admitted during the same time so I love a robe I got from someone because I was able to throw it over my pajamas and go to the nicu/ BC room without having to get dressed.

Ellie7

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 9:21 pm
One other thing is preemie clothes. Once the baby is wearing clothes in the nicu, it’s nice to have a good amount because of bringing them back and forth. And it’s nice to see your baby dressed cutely. Even if she had other kids, she might not have preemie size.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics