Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Silverfish HELP! How to get rid of?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 3:45 pm
Are these common in Israel?
My neighbor was over and saw a bug run across the floor and she was like oh a silver fish. Google tells me they run in groups and eat clothing.

What do I do? How did this happen???

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 3:57 pm
I live in US but I have had them in my house. They are such gross big bugs! I just killed them as I found them. I would have someone stand watch while I got a tissue or paper towel so it wouldn't disappear. I haven't seen any in my house in a long time bh.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 3:58 pm
You need to call an exterminator.

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:01 pm
Silverfish are harmless.

Ignore them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:12 pm
Such conflicting answers.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:27 pm
sequoia wrote:
Silverfish are harmless.

Ignore them.

So are many other bugs. But who likes bugs in their house!? Yuck.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:29 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
You need to call an exterminator.

It depends on how many you have. It is not like seeing a mouse and needing to call an exterminator. (I would in that situation)

I saw 1 or 2 silverfish every few days. I just got rid of them as time went on.

Op, how many have you seen?

mochamix18

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:29 pm
OP I’ve found them to be unfortunately common in Israel especially during Pesach cleaning. They particularly thrive in dust and dirt. So when you move furniture that is too heavy to move often it’s common to see them slither out. Silver fish and Juke misparayim and regular gigantic Jukim all freak me out.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:45 pm
Best remedy ever.
Spray windex in every corner of your floor, every 2 weeks or so.

Cheap, easy and really takes care of them.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:10 pm
If there is one, there are hundreds. Exterminator needed to get rid of them for good

They thrive in dark, moist places. Any time I’ve dealt with them they were always only in the bathroom.

They don’t bite humans or anything but can eat clothing. Also super gross 🤢

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:22 pm
I have them. Most annoying thing ever. Would love to get rid of them somehow. We moved into a house and found out afterwards that the previous tenants had them but nobody said anything to us.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:23 pm
mochamix18 wrote:
OP I’ve found them to be unfortunately common in Israel especially during Pesach cleaning. They particularly thrive in dust and dirt. So when you move furniture that is too heavy to move often it’s common to see them slither out. Silver fish and Juke misparayim and regular gigantic Jukim all freak me out.

I just want to know. Are there hundreds eating my clothing or is it just a bug here and there?

I don't mind seeing a bug here and there. I do mind having all my clothing eaten and hundreds of bugs in my house. I'm getting such conflicting answers like it's nothing to you need an exterminator.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:40 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
It depends on how many you have. It is not like seeing a mouse and needing to call an exterminator. (I would in that situation)

I saw 1 or 2 silverfish every few days. I just got rid of them as time went on.

Op, how many have you seen?

1 or 2 every few days is a lot! Over enough to call ab exterminator for. Eeeww.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just want to know. Are there hundreds eating my clothing or is it just a bug here and there?

I don't mind seeing a bug here and there. I do mind having all my clothing eaten and hundreds of bugs in my house. I'm getting such conflicting answers like it's nothing to you need an exterminator.

Really I’ve never seen hundreds. I’ve never BH had an infestation of them. If you saw one or two while cleaning I don’t think you need to go crazy.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 6:04 pm
We also have a problem. We just did quite a bit of construction and I'm waiting for closets to come before I have the exterminator out. He came to give me an estimate and told me that he sprays the entire floor and walls It's completely different treatment than for things like ants and roaches. So I'm going to have him out once he can have access to the floor as well.

Bailar

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:19 pm
Anyone who used an exterminator for that gross bug with success?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics