Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bedtime tips that WORK needed

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:56 pm
For my 3yo. She just won't stay in bed. At my wits end. And dh not home to help me out. I tried everything. What am I missing??

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
For my 3yo. She just won't stay in bed. At my wits end. And dh not home to help me out. I tried everything. What am I missing??

Maybe start bedtime later? Some kids just go to sleep late

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:59 pm
Walk her back silently over and over. Don’t speak don’t give her attention. Take her hand and walk her back to bed. Get an ok to wake clock, repeat over and over that her feet cannot touch the floor while it’s red unless she needs the bathroom or these is a real emergency like fire or vomit.

Another idea have bed toys that she can play with in her bed as long as she stays in it. If she can’t stay the toys can’t stay. You remove as needed.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:01 pm
For that age my favorite is a red light, green light alarm clock. U set the time u want it to turn green and turn it to red every night and remind her that she can't come out until the light turns green. The first few nights make sure she had a drink and went to bathroom before putting her in so theres no legitimate reason for her to come out. Also helps for early risers.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:48 pm
MELOCHEWS is what worked for us
Give literally a half or a quarter of a 1 mg melochew 1/2 hour before bedtime
Spoke to a Dr who encouraged it. It’s important for mommy and child that they get their sleep

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:09 am
amother Blue wrote:
MELOCHEWS is what worked for us
Give literally a half or a quarter of a 1 mg melochew 1/2 hour before bedtime
Spoke to a Dr who encouraged it. It’s important for mommy and child that they get their sleep

For a 3 yo???

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:16 am
I found very calming bedtime stories on YouTube that my 3yo loves to listen to. He stays in bed listening until he falls asleep

Most nights I don’t even need to sit with him, I’ll just leave my phone on his nightstand and go back to get it after he’s asleep

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:23 am
amother OP wrote:

I gave melatonin. Also half or a quarter of 1mg. I know some people will disagree, but I think taking that effected them less then it would have effected them had nights been a whole power struggle and etc. Most of my kids never needed it but 2 of them had a lot of trouble sleeping and I gave from about ages 3-8. I don't regret it. Bedtime with them was tense, whole night affair, then they would have trouble getting up bec they didn't get enough sleep.... On my end I'd feel frustrated, tired, have no time at night bec I was busy with them....once I gave it to them, everything changed.

yellowroses

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:27 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
I gave melatonin. Also half or a quarter of 1mg. I know some people will disagree, but I think taking that effected them less then it would have effected them had nights been a whole power struggle and etc. Most of my kids never needed it but 2 of them had a lot of trouble sleeping and I gave from about ages 3-8. I don't regret it. Bedtime with them was tense, whole night affair, then they would have trouble getting up bec they didn't get enough sleep.... On my end I'd feel frustrated, tired, have no time at night bec I was busy with them....

My advice to Op: Don’t give nothing without consulting your doc first!
Have you tried sitting next to your child? At first till they fall asleep and with time for shorter amount of time.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 8:32 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
I found very calming bedtime stories on YouTube that my 3yo loves to listen to. He stays in bed listening until he falls asleep

Most nights I don’t even need to sit with him, I’ll just leave my phone on his nightstand and go back to get it after he’s asleep

Can you link this please? TIA

Also what do you do on Shabbos? I do calm music sometimes during the week but then Friday night is tough sometimes.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:08 am
My 3 year old is doing this now too. Solidarity. I remember my older one doing it at the same age. We just firmly say good night, we love you, if you're not tired, you don't have to sleep, just rest. We also say we'll tuck her in one more time but if she gets up again (and it's not an emergency), she'll have to tuck herself in, so stay in bed. That usually works.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 9:37 am
amother Teal wrote:
Can you link this please? TIA

Also what do you do on Shabbos? I do calm music sometimes during the week but then Friday night is tough sometimes.

This is his favorite, but we listen to a bunch on this Bedtime Wonders channel

https://youtu.be/MohiamrPH58?feature=shared

Shabbos is more work and longer process, I bought a few “shabbos only” bedtime story books that I sti and read to him in the same soothing tone as the videos

I also did a lot of research about using meditation/hypnosis which I find helps a lot

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:48 am
Is she still napping

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:03 am
yellowroses wrote:
My advice to Op: Don’t give nothing without consulting your doc first!
Have you tried sitting next to your child? At first till they fall asleep and with time for shorter amount of time.

I just want to say that it will not necessarily be a shorter amount of time with time and I have to sit/lay with my kids for 1-2 YEARS.
It's really not my type, usuallyit starts with dh whose mom laid with him, & becomes a really annoying habit and as much as I beg him but each kid not to do it , he still does, but I don't mind it I'll read or nurse the baby in their bed and eventually they get old enough that they're not interested but it's not always a short-term solution and if you have very busy nights, it might be for u.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:19 am
I'm not a big fan of Supernanny, but I do like her bedtime technique. My filter won't let me see these anymore, but maybe someone can embed it...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:29 am
I'm the op of the recent toilet training thread where dd refuses to go on the potty. She is very immature for her age and doesn't understand the concept of staying in bed or consequences. I do try sitting with her during bedtime but it doesn't help. I even talk to her about her day.
Listening to something doesn't help because she always fights with her brother about what they are going to watch and it ends up keeping her up longer

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm the op of the recent toilet training thread where dd refuses to go on the potty. She is very immature for her age and doesn't understand the concept of staying in bed or consequences. I do try sitting with her during bedtime but it doesn't help. I even talk to her about her day.
Listening to something doesn't help because she always fights with her brother about what they are going to watch and it ends up keeping her up longer

Once she is asleep does she sleep through the night? I’m having an issue with waking up during the night for 2.5 year old. Will they just eventually stop doing that…?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:14 pm
I’m confused you said your tried everything but you didn’t try melotonin/ melochews
Three year olds are not to young
Tonss of parents give a tiny drop to save both there sanities and bh most drs say it’s a good idea and no long term ramifications

yellowroses

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:41 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
I’m confused you said your tried everything but you didn’t try melotonin/ melochews
Three year olds are not to young
Tonss of parents give a tiny drop to save both there sanities and bh most drs say it’s a good idea and no long term ramifications

Here in Europe doctors strongly advise against giving kids melatonin.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you dim all the lights 2+ hours before bed. Including living room where she is playing etc. it will help promote sleepiness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics