Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a simcha with gluten free food

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:49 pm
We are bh making a simcha. My child can only eat gluten free food. I would love to have different things that are gf. Like on the dessert table and food served. Does anyone know a caterer/party planner in Brooklyn who can do this . Or has anyone made a simcha and needed diet restrictions what did u do.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are bh making a simcha. My child can only eat gluten free food. I would love to have different things that are gf. Like on the dessert table and food served. Does anyone know a caterer/party planner in Brooklyn who can do this . Or has anyone made a simcha and needed diet restrictions what did u do.

No leads but my IL fam have some gluten free adults.
My MIL tells the caterer how many gf portions she needs.
The aunts tell the waitress whom to serve it to.
Bec they are adults that can manage w/o dessert.

Most halls accommodate nicely. Williamsburg for reference.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:01 pm
Agree that you order gluten free meals and have them available for the people you know of. It's giod to get a few extra, as people you nay not realize are GF may ask. Depending on sensitivity to cross contamination, a basic meal of grilled chicken, rice and vegetables works nicely. Kids can have gluten free fries and maybe a drumstick- basically, foods that are naturally gf vs having the caterer use substitute products.

For dessert, aside from naturally gf (parve ice cream, fruit), your best bet is to find gf baked goods with a hechsher the hall is ok with and bring them in yourself. I would have them specifically for your son, and he can share with others if that works. Putting them out with a dessert buffet is asking for problems.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:03 pm
Maybe SprinkledPinkNJ can do this.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:14 pm
Ember and Naturally Kosher both do this but both of based in NJ

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:20 pm
I found that most caterers have a lot of gluten free options. When I made a shabbos bar mitzva I asked the caterer which things on the menu were gf and those were the things we chose. We didn't have kneidels or lukshen with the soup, we chose the grilled chicken over the breaded chicken and rice instead of lukshen kugel. They even had gf options for dessert. I live in Lakewood not Brooklyn, so I cant give you specific names. But I had called a few caterers before we chose one and they were all able to accommodate us.

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:25 am
We have a bunch of gf people in the extended family. Some people ordered a specified amount of gf options for those specific people. I wouldn't put out fancy gf things like cakes/cookies by a kiddush mixed with the gluten stuff unless it was a standard item that is no gluten like fruit is gf. I would set out separately not in main area. Or it will get finished off by accident by regular eaters.

I personally have seen and made smachos that are served (catered halls ie bar mitzvahs , weddings) that all the food was gf except the challah. All the caterers know gf by now. There are always choices that don't have gluten when you choose the menu.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics