Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Talk to kids about sensitive topics

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:12 pm
I feel really uncomfortable taking about anything s-xual, body parts and I feel really guilt about it. My oldest is 14 and I read the American girl book to prepare her for getting her period but I never otherwise used any words had other conversations. I’m sure she heard from friends. My question is what exactly do I say when I’m so late in the game, can someone give me ideas of exactly how to go about this and what to say. Also with my younger kids I’d like to learn how to use body words and tell them earlier. I am not super close with my daughter either- I’m trying my best- I have my own emotional issues from hard childhood and I’m improving a lot but I’m not yet the super close mother daughter relationship.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:13 pm
Elisheva liss has a course online called sacred not secret about educating kids in a healthy way.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Elisheva liss has a course online called sacred not secret about educating kids in a healthy way.

Great recommendation. It’s actually available for free now if you live in Israel, op or use code AC to get it half price if you live outside Israel. All proceeds go to helping Israel.

https://get-intimate.mykajabi.com/SNS

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Cerise wrote:

I took it. But she tells you what to do when ur kids are little. This is different- she already is 14. The course didn’t help me for some reason.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:18 pm
The mashgiach of my boys school has an org for this. https://bigtalks.org/ The women who wrote the one for girls are outstanding.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:22 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The mashgiach of my boys school has an org for this. https://bigtalks.org/ The women who wrote the one for girls are outstanding.

Is this to talk about relations? Or just period stuff?

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:23 pm
The website tells you all the things they talk about. But this is a copy/paste:

The Guidebook

Tips on how to make yourself an “askable” parent
Step-by-step guidance for initiating and navigating delicate discussions through the lens of Torah hashkafa. Topics include:
Physical and emotional changes
Weight and dieting
Personal hygiene
Getting her period
Setting boundaries
Personal safety
Babysitting safety
Bite-sized conversation starters, talking points, scripts, stories, and mashalim
Commonly asked questions and answers
A tear-out card for your daughter with practical advice on what to do the first time she gets her period and other tips related to adolescent changes.

The Presentation

A short video presentation by Mrs. Rachel Zimmerman, MA LCPC that covers the topics in the guide, which you can watch on your own and/or with your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:23 pm
To clarify- I want to know about how to talk about s-ex . Not the other stuff…

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:24 pm
Firstly you need to be comfortable with it yourself

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:29 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Firstly you need to be comfortable with it yourself

Im not sure how to do that. On one hand I am extremely comfortable with my s-ex life. And I can talk easily to people except my mother/ sister because of hard childhood and very weird relationships with them. I feel it’s extending to my daughter. I am working on my relationship with her but it’s a process and I never felt comfortable talking about s-ex. I believe it’s important. But I’m so uncomfortable to do so especially because our relationship isn’t as warm fuzzy as I wish it was. So I’m not sure exactly how to address this with her and what exactly I say. Also I guess I am pretty insular. My s-ex life works for me but I’m not the type to know all the correct words, terminology- I’m not super verbal in being able to explain…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics