Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it possible to have double ear infection without pain?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:57 am
My toddler had fever yesterday and today. The pediatrician that I always use was not in office today. There was a new pediatrician there today.
He said DC has double ear infection and prescribed antibiotics.

I am not sure how good of a dr he is.

My dc no longer has fever. He wasnt complaining at all. I just took him to dr to rule out strept. Is it possible to have double ear infectiom without pain? Would you treat with antibiotics? is it safe to wait overnight and take dc to dr tomorrow and hear opinion or its not something to play around with ?

salt

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:08 am
I was always told that ear infection does not need to be treated. It's only usually treated because of the pain or the fever. If it goes away by itself that's fine.
Strep does need to be treated, but you said you ruled that out.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:27 am
If he seems fine I wouldn’t start antibiotics. I usually only give because of the pain.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:54 am
Ear infections don't need antibiotics if a child is comfortable. When you bring your child to a doctor, the doctor naturally wants to help. Whether that help is truly necessary or not. Doctor thinks she's doing what you asked her to - help you help your child feel better. Unless you explicitly asked if doing nothing is perfectly fine, and even then, only if she paid attention to that unfamiliar request.

I heard once that pediatricians are more in the business of treating the parent's anxiety over the child's illness. Food for thought.

GoldenOra

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:08 am
My toddler had double ear infection with seemingly no pain. We went on antibiotics because I couldn’t know exactly if she was really pain free. Why take the chance?

ally

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:31 am
GoldenOra wrote:
My toddler had double ear infection with seemingly no pain. We went on antibiotics because I couldn’t know exactly if she was really pain free. Why take the chance?

Because taking antibiotics for no reason leads to antibiotic resistance.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:33 am
My doctor doesn't prescribe antibiotics for ear infection unless it persists.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:11 am
For a different perspective, I ignored my own ear infection last year and it messed up my hearing so Id probably give the anti biotics.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:30 am
GoldenOra wrote:

Because antibiotics mess with the gut. And have other side effects.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:30 am
mha3484 wrote:
For a different perspective, I ignored my own ear infection last year and it messed up my hearing so Id probably give the anti biotics.

For how long did it mess with your hearing? In general, any ear infection treated or not, can cause temporary hearing loss for up to a month or two.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:32 am
This was last spring and my hearing is still not 100% what it was.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:36 am
Were you in pain and ignored? Did hearing loss start while infected?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 10:48 am
mha3484 wrote:
This was last spring and my hearing is still not 100% what it was.

Afult ear infections usually need to be treated. Children's not. I don't remember thr logic my kids pediatrician gave me years ago. (We've since moved out if the city so changed pediatrician)
My current pediatrician was known to push abx for ear infections years ago when he was still newer. Over time he stopped recommending it.
What you CAN and should do us receive pain. Motrin helps w pain AND swelling. Swelling will make it harder for fluid to drain.
Oil of oregano (its VERY powerful antibacterial essential oil) mix 5 drops olive oil to 1 drop oil of oregano. And massage it in behind the ear 3x a day.
It works amazing.
There is garlic in the ear. And other things you can do to help the ear infections heal.
If your child is prone to them, find out why, is the child intolerant to a food (likely dairy) that's causing congestion? Is the child's innerear shaped in a way that it makes it hard for fluid to drain? Then put in tubes.

I've rarely given my kids abx for ear infectiosn. One time was a week before flying. Another time my kid had gotten a hold of a qtip and punctured her ear drum. We gave her the ear drops the doctor prescribed. A week later she caught the flu was was congested and was full of fluid in both ears. And ddeveloped an ear infection in that ear.... if course I gave abx that time....

My kids get diaharrea from abx. Then I have 2 weeks of probiotics. Until it regulates.

busy mommy

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:48 pm
And for another perspective:
I have a child who would get frequent ear infections and the only way I knew was when there was puss coming from his ear since he popped his ear drum yet again! If I went to the doctor with this child for something else whether I suspected strep or anything else and he said there was an ear infection I always treated since I knew we would inevitably end up with a popped eardrum otherwise.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:12 pm
It's fine to wait a day or 2 to see if it goes away on its own but dint send your kid to playgroup if he's not feeling well.
Not fair to morah and other children.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:09 pm
Thank you all for your replies.

Toddler doesnt have fever today and is feeling fine not complaining anything. Kept him home today.

I took dc to our usual pediatrician and said he is all clear. No ear infection and I shouldnt give antiboitic.

Im so happy to went again today.

Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics