Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS Stool Sample

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:11 pm
My DS has been having some stomach pains so according to the GI we need to do a stool test and he has been put on miralax round the clock. When we received the collection kit, I see we need to collect a lot!

First of all, I don’t manage poop stuff well, so I’m stressing out inside… like I’m super grossed out! (he doesn’t know it)

Second, he’s on miralax, so his stool is much looser…is that an issue??

Third, we were given five different collection tubes! I’m trying to figure out how there will be enough to fill them all!!

Anyone done this before and can help advise me? For some reason the whole thing is really freaking me out 🙈

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:12 pm
It's fine if it's loose. I don't think you need to collect it all at the same time. Collect as much as you can don't stress too much. Is your husband better with this stuff?

pizzapie

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:37 pm
You don't need to fill each tube up to the top, most just need a relatively small amount. Call the doctor or lab to find out the minimum amount of stool that you need.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:05 pm
Don't worry about the lines. You only need a small amount in each one if you're using LabCorp. Also, as gross as it is, you can collect over 24 hours as long as you keep it in the fridge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:08 pm
The lab gave us the sample kit with printed instructions inside. 3 don’t need much (we need to mix it with a liquid in there which is gross!). But two officially need a decent amount, like a couple tablespoons? Idk how we will get enough all together because it’s 5 separate test samples needed! I’m planning to call the doc tomorrow…

Because of the quantity needed I feel like I may need to do this in two shifts, but the samples can’t sit for long so it would need to be within 12 hours.

Dh is not nearly as squeamish with these things, but I suspect that DS will be more comfortable with me dealing with it based on our relationship… I’m obviously going to play it by ear, but I’m usually the one who deals with the more personal/private bodily convos with this child.

This is a mid elementary child just for reference. Old enough to be uncomfortable with the whole thing, but too young to manage the process on his own.

Rivky

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:09 pm
If your son is old enough to collect it himself maybe let him do it. You need a real minimal amount for each tube so usually it’s ok. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:29 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Don't worry about the lines. You only need a small amount in each one if you're using LabCorp. Also, as gross as it is, you can collect over 24 hours as long as you keep it in the fridge.

Yes it’s labcorp. The tubes have a line about 2/3 the way up saying to fill until there. That’s not all needed?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes it’s labcorp. The tubes have a line about 2/3 the way up saying to fill until there. That’s not all needed?

I did these tests recently. The technician at the front desk gave me a hard time, but the lab got results no problem. And like I said, they told me you gave 24 hours (or maybe even 48 hours) if you keep the tubes in the fridge (obviously in an opaque bag!)

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:24 am
I haven’t had to do this for quite a while. But from what I remember, they told us to put a container/bowl in the toilet when the child had to go, to catch the sample.

If your son feels more comfortable with you, maybe you can set it up for him and he can tell you when he needs to go. But your husband can deal with the next steps .

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:36 am
amother Milk wrote:
I haven’t had to do this for quite a while. But from what I remember, they told us to put a container/bowl in the toilet when the child had to go, to catch the sample.

If your son feels more comfortable with you, maybe you can set it up for him and he can tell you when he needs to go. But your husband can deal with the next steps .

I wanted to say this.
Before your son needs to go put a large plastic container in the toilet bowl to collect the stool and then spoon it in with gloves on.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:42 am
amother OP wrote:

We only use labcorp and we’ve done more than I can count for multiple kids, a spoonful was fine.
The kid uses the bathroom on their own with the hat shapes piece in the toilet then they go out and I go in to collect. They don’t stay to watch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:44 am
amother Wine wrote:
We only use labcorp and we’ve done more than I can count for multiple kids, a spoonful was fine.
The kid uses the bathroom on their own with the hat shapes piece in the toilet then they go out and I go in to collect. They don’t stay to watch.

They didn’t give us a hat shaped piece. They gave some biodegradable paper that u lay over the water and it catches the stool. Then it sinks/soaks through with water and you can flush it. That’s adding to my stress because: 1) what if it sinks too fast and ruins the sample and 2) we most likely will need a few trials to get enough, but they only gave one paper!

I’m thinking I should just find a container in my house, just not sure what type will fit without shifting or moving too much.

Basically, I know I’m unnecessarily stressed about this!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:05 pm
Update:
I checked Amazon and walmart and the pharmacy near me, but couldn’t find a good specimen collection hat thing. I ended up buying a sitz bath to use and it worked bh. We collected the specimen and left me and my husband survived though we are both quite grossed out 🤦🏽‍♀️ (changing a diaper is totally different in my opinion!). Now I am working to prepare the samples as required, some mixed with liquid and left and room temp, and some in the fridge. Phew. What a night.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Update:
I checked Amazon and walmart and the pharmacy near me, but couldn’t find a good specimen collection hat thing. I ended up buying a sitz bath to use and it worked bh. We collected the specimen and left me and my husband survived though we are both quite grossed out 🤦🏽‍♀️ (changing a diaper is totally different in my opinion!). Now I am working to prepare the samples as required, some mixed with liquid and left and room temp, and some in the fridge. Phew. What a night.

Such fun! That goes on my list along with scraping a diaper with a plastic knife trying to get a sample as part of my favorite parts of being a parent.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Update:

If it comes up again, when I forgot to ask for the hat thing I used a disposable 9x13 and bent it into shape.
It so not fun, sending all the sympathy. I always did them as dh is squeamish and I managed better but last time I was in my first trimester and just could not handle it, I couldn’t stop gagging so dh had to deal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Wine wrote:
If it comes up again, when I forgot to ask for the hat thing I used a disposable 9x13 and bent it into shape.
It so not fun, sending all the sympathy. I always did them as dh is squeamish and I managed better but last time I was in my first trimester and just could not handle it, I couldn’t stop gagging so dh had to deal.

Yes I’m also pregnant bH and I’m still not quite past the nausea stage! My husband did the scooping but I’m dealing with the other parts.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:55 pm
With one of my kids, they said to cover the top of the toilet with saran wrap and then put the seat down and it would catch the specimen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics