Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What backsplash material is kasherable for Pesach?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:07 pm
and how do you kasher it? or does everyone cover it?

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:17 pm
We don't kasher the backsplash. We hold that it doesn't need to be kashered. Ask your LOR.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:24 pm
Are you serious? Which eggs do you fry on your backsplash, and does it taste good to eat off of it?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:24 pm
You just cover it with plastic or foil

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Are you serious? Which eggs do you fry on your backsplash, and does it taste good to eat off of it?
Food splatters on it, you've never had that?

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

But you don't eat the food that splatters on it. (And it happens pretty seldom in general that food splashes on the backsplash.)
Ask your Rav if you need to kasher/cover.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

There's really no need to be rude. OP asked a normal question.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

So you clean it, like any other surface that isnt covered. Why would that not be enough?

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 11:21 pm
We don't cover or kasher. We wipe it down.
Approved by Star K who kasher my kitchen for pesach

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 12:19 am
amother Bronze wrote:
So you clean it, like any other surface that isnt covered. Why would that not be enough?

Some people hold that it needs to be covered. OP should ask her Rav.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:32 am
And if you would have no backslash, just a wall. You would ask about kashering the wall? If you're afraid food will touch it, cover.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 1:35 am
amother Garnet wrote:
We don't cover or kasher. We wipe it down.
Approved by Star K who kasher my kitchen for pesach

This.
Our rov said to wash well (ammonia) and then only need to cover bottom few inches, like where a pot could touch the wall, so I put a few inches of foil.
Counters are different halachikly, as you place food on them.
My counters I double cover.

ray family

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 2:58 am
We don’t kasher it.
I clean with bleach and then cover the lower part where a pot might touch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:20 pm
Are all backsplashes made of the same material?

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

Sometimes it's made of formica like the counter, sometimes it's quartz like the counter, most often there's a backsplash of a design of tiles.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

No

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:30 pm
I have a mirrored backsplash (sounds weird. Previous owners put it in but since it’s black it matches the counters which are pretty so it’s alright) anyway. Of the opinion that it needs to be covered. But I HATE foiling it. Kitchen is huge and it takes me forever and I never get it looking neat. I saw a bunch of advertisements for marble-like contact paper for this use for Passover. Has anyone ever used anything like that? If yes, did it come off cleanly after? And which product did you use? Amazon has a zilllion options. And In the free Jewish circular I saw something called Dekel and another from Wilhelms.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I have a mirrored backsplash (sounds weird. Previous owners put it in but since it’s black it matches the counters which are pretty so it’s alright) anyway. Of the opinion that it needs to be covered. But I HATE foiling it. Kitchen is huge and it takes me forever and I never get it looking neat. I saw a bunch of advertisements for marble-like contact paper for this use for Passover. Has anyone ever used anything like that? If yes, did it come off cleanly after? And which product did you use? Amazon has a zilllion options. And In the free Jewish circular I saw something called Dekel and another from Wilhelms.

I wouldn't risk it on mirrored backsplash. The finish can come off with the adhesive.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I wouldn't risk it on mirrored backsplash. The finish can come off with the adhesive.

Isn’t top layer of mirror glass? Or you’re saying because it’s tinted? I was also concerned that removal, if it’s really strong might pull off the whole back splash.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
You just cover it with plastic or foil

If you cover your backsplash, do NOT put plastic behind a stovetop, burners or any heating element. If you cover behind the stove, use heavy duty foil and make sure it’s secured to the wall and won’t fall on the stove. Don’t cover any part of the oven or stove that has vents or openings that release heat or circulate air. Stay safe while you kasher and clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen