Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bow legged

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:47 pm
My 16 month old is walking bow legged. I spoke to a few friends about it and I’m very confused as to what to do. One said it’s something that’s outgrown especially for a new walker (she’s actually walking since 13 months) another said to get her special shoes to correct it. I’m so confused. Who do I call first? Early intervention? Is it something she would even get approved for? Can anyone who has experience with this please advise? This is my fifth child, first one with this issue.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:49 pm
Do you mean bow legged?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:50 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Do you mean bow legged?

embarrassed yes I switched it

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:51 pm
Call an orthopedist if you’re concerned.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:51 pm
What does your pediatrician say? That's where I would atart. But If you are concerned then consult an orthopedist as it is bony.. early intervention can't really treat it and he will not be eligible unless he has developmental delays.
My child was very bowl legged and one. Leg worse than the other.. the orthopedist said he would outgrow it by 4 years old and he did. But it never hurts to get checked out

healthymom1

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:54 pm
I orthopedist said it should straighten by age 2. Which is did. So could be they’d wait it out either way. By 2 and a few months she didn’t walk what looked like bow legged anymore

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 7:59 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
I orthopedist said it should straighten by age 2. Which is did. So could be they’d wait it out either way. By 2 and a few months she didn’t walk what looked like bow legged anymore

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I’ll wait and see if it corrects itself.

Just curious, is this genetic? None of my other kids had it and none in mine or dh’s family either

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:45 pm
My daughter is finally outgrowing it... at age nine.

I love her to pieces and think she's the most amazing girl on earth, and I couldn't care less about her walk. the comments I got from my mother and mil the past 8 years were torture. I literally couldn't visit them wo coming home in tears. I couldn't (and still cant) understand why they couldn't look pass the feet and see the beautiful soul she has! (She's a real darling)

My recommendation- if it will bother you or anyone around you, take care of it. Maybe braces they said help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics