Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shoutout to Manchester imas
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 5:59 am
s1 wrote:
The best thing about Manchester is that no-one notices or cares what other people are wearing. So you can dress your kids in anything you like.
Yes a coat with hood is necessary, even if you're only going a block away. Weather forecasts are not particularly reliable, especially for a week away. And rain can be heavy!!
Steakhouses. Er....no. There is Taam (Israeli style), Pagoda (chinese), JS (burgers, take aways), Benny Bistro (also burgers and takeaways) and Celia's (traditional), depending on what hechsherim you eat. And a bunch of pizza/ice cream/cafés.
Places to go:
Jewish museum is not fascinating for kids, unless they have a particular interest in the history of yidden in manchester.
Museum of science and industry
Manchester museum
Ordsall Hall (check opening days) (old English House, good for a couple of hours)
Manchester football museum (although tbh I've never been)
Trafford centre has mini golf and bowling and lots of shops
Ice skating in Altrincham
Plenty of soft plays, bowling alleys etc
Chill factore (indoor skiing and other snow stuff)
Anything specific you're looking for?

This is helpful thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:00 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Where do you live that that's considered spring weather? Though most of the week anyway is showing a colder forecast than that + rain.

(I used to live in England and travel there often. It certainly gets COLD there. And Manchester is notorious for rainy weather.)

East coast. We had this weather now on shabbos and it really felt like spring.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:02 am
Busybee5 wrote:
There's an indoor trampoline park nearby called kickair. It's expensive but good for all ages.
If you want a free indoor outing try the science museum in town, you can last a couple of hours there. How old are you kids?

Thanks! My kids love trampoline parks. They’re ages 2-11.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:03 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Huh? Of course it gets freezing in Manchester.

And never heard of people in England wearing velour in the summer...

But any sweatshirts are fine.

I’ve seen marks n Spencer selling velours in July and my family in England told me they dress their babies in velour on chilly days and it’s normal🤷🏽‍♀️

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:06 am
amother OP wrote:
East coast. We had this weather now on shabbos and it really felt like spring.

Maybe the current weather in east coast is similar to Manchester, I don't know. But in general, it definitely gets colder in Manchester than New York. Not sure where you get it from that it's never gets freezing there...

Regardless, hope you have a great trip! I personally would pack only winter clothes, but you should be fine with anything as long as they have warm coats.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:09 am
ok, so I think the difference is that even if its 50s, its rainy and damp., the dampness just goes through your bones! so you feel colder than you would if it was 50s and dry.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:13 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Maybe the current weather in east coast is similar to Manchester, I don't know. But in general, it definitely gets colder in Manchester than New York. Not sure where you get it from that it's never gets freezing there...

Regardless, hope you have a great trip! I personally would pack only winter clothes, but you should be fine with anything as long as they have warm coats.

Colder in Manchester than New York? Are you sure? Google says the weather in Manchester is temperate and never gets too hot or cold.
https://www.google.com/search?.....afari

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:15 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
ok, so I think the difference is that even if its 50s, its rainy and damp., the dampness just goes through your bones! so you feel colder than you would if it was 50s and dry.

I hear that! So happy I posted because I didn’t even think to check if everyone has raincoats. Will do an inventory today and go out to buy what we’re missing.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear that! So happy I posted because I didn’t even think to check if everyone has raincoats. Will do an inventory today and go out to buy what we’re missing.

the rain is not necessarily heavy. just can be constant sometimes. slow drizzle sometimes. dont specifically need raincoats, any coat is fine. dont buy raincoats specially.
only time you need raincoats per se is in the summer when its warmer and drizzling.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:19 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
the rain is not necessarily heavy. just can be constant sometimes. slow drizzle sometimes. dont specifically need raincoats, any coat is fine. dont buy raincoats specially.
only time you need raincoats per se is in the summer when its warmer and drizzling.

They’ll be wearing shabbos coats and can’t have umbrellas but we won’t be walking far. Better safe than sorry I think. Or maybe they can just wear their weekday coats? Will they look weird?

zoom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:28 am
No, they wont look wierd.

I mean dont worry, plenty ppl dress like that .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:30 am
zoom wrote:
No, they wont look wierd.

I mean dont worry, plenty ppl dress like that .

Ok good because me and dh couldn’t decide only shabbos or only weekday. Both would take up a suitcase by itself. If it’s this wet and yucky outside weekday probably makes more sense.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:42 am
In Manchester there is no sun during Winter so even if the weather is not cold according to temperature the feeling is very cold.
Elsewhere it can be cold with fake sun making it feel more summery.
Definitely if you don't want to bring both coats weekday coats are fine on Shabbos and you won't stand out. Raincoats are only if forecasted for heavy rain during summer.

I wouldn't go off M&S for when you can dress in Valour. Specifically not Jewish shops especially on the website do not go towards seasons.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:52 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
In Manchester there is no sun during Winter so even if the weather is not cold according to temperature the feeling is very cold.
Definitely if you don't want to bring both coats weekday coats are fine on Shabbos and you won't stand out. Raincoats are only if forecasted for heavy rain during summer.

I wouldn't go off M&S for when you can dress in Valour. Specifically not Jewish shops especially on the website do not go towards seasons.

Brrr okay I think I get the picture

Busybee5

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:34 am
Brit in Israel wrote:

We do get some sunny winter days, although it's usually even colder on days when it's sunny and not raining.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:12 am
amother RosePink wrote:
There is also Manchester New Jersey… need to be more specific

Well clearly you knew which one she meant if you said ALSO New Jersey....

Ridethewaves

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:24 am
amother Lime wrote:

And based on the context of the thread it's British english. I don't think Americans would think a shoutout as a question but more like a compliment.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:38 am
I'm loving this thread I miss hearing the way Brits talk Very Happy
Maybe it's technically colder on the east coast usa but manchester can feel colder/worse because it gets into your bones.
I would pack winter stuff only if you're going in the next month or so
Anyways have fun !

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:44 am
amother Lime wrote:

Someone first said about Manchester England so I guess thats why she said also.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 9:48 am
Ridethewaves wrote:
And based on the context of the thread it's British english. I don't think Americans would think a shoutout as a question but more like a compliment.

Brits also use it to compliment not sure how it comes in here.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics