Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Just bought groceries for the week
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
I made a Cheshbon of how much your groceries would’ve cost me in Israel and it came out to 600 shekels, that’s $163…

I guess you are in Israel, right?
If 600 NIS is USD 163 then groceries really seem to be through the roof. Groceries were always cheaper in the US compared to Israel. Always.
Something is wrong with America...

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:46 pm
Look out for a sale on costco membership sometimes you can get it for cheaper (or it comes with good coupons)
Costco is worth it but not for everything. The prices (yes it's bulk) if you compare can be similar to aldi/walmart but I find the quality to be better.
Certain things like peppers and avocado are cheaper at costco, I find apples/oranges to be expensive.
cheese and deli are great prices at costco. Also chicken (depends if ur local grocery has sales tho). If you dont keep cy, they have polly-o string cheese which is def not as tasty as haolam but it works for toddlers;) It's super cheap.
I love Walmart for basics-pasta etc. and definitely if you dont keep cy its so so much cheaper.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 1:46 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Wow can you share how you make yogurt??

I don't make home made yoghurt yet but the majority of things in your grocery can be made it home (excluding junky snacks like bissli bamba)
Think: mayonnaise, all salad dressings, many ready made sauces for pasta chicken etc.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 2:57 pm
I have had a Costco membership since I had 1 child. I have found it to be very worthwhile.

I recently started getting produce there but I need to make sure I use it up. And when I do go, I need to be very disciplined not to get any extras, because an unnecessary extra will probably cost $10-20. If not more.

I love Costco for:
Foil
Parchment paper
Olive oil
Frozen pizza
Garbage bags
CY cheese
Chicken
Frozen green beans
Yukon potatos
Instant coffee
Grape juice

All the things I listed I have found to be a great, money saving deal at Costco. These items are much more expensive in regular stores, even walmart.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 3:19 pm
Costco membership is not worth it for your size family

I spend $3-400 a week for 2 adults 3 young kids, and I shop sales and plan meals accordingly. Prices have risen astronomically and are still rising.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are a family of 3 - one toddler.

I went grocery shopping for the week yesterday and the total was $160. What am I doing wrong? I didn't get anything crazy - no precut veggies or broccoli etc.
That's very little.
Are you still going to parents for shabbos? my weekly order is way more, family of 4. And I buy the minimum!

mandr

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:24 pm
$160 sounds insanely low. Which store is this at?!

I spend like 300-400 a week for 2 adults and three kids. And it’s just food. I also shop at wegmans for food. I won’t say I buy just the minimum but I don’t buy any premade food like frozen pizza or knishes and such.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:28 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Are you joking op?
That is NOT a lot at all.

I want to know which store you shop at!

Gourmet Glatt in Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:30 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
That's very little.
Are you still going to parents for shabbos? my weekly order is way more, family of 4. And I buy the minimum!

Nope.

I did not need to buy some things this week that I had on hand (gefilte fish, cholent meat, grape juice)

I will buy challah and lettuce later in the week

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:31 pm
Thank you everyone for making feel better about how much I spent... I guess prices went up more than I realized!

And for helping me out what I should buy outside of frum stores

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

I also shop there and I plan my menu based on their sales. I think $160 for 2 adults and a toddler is reasonable.

I wonder if the poster who spends $75-100 is getting food stamps or goes away every week for Shabbos

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's all in one store, in town.

I used to try and buy basics in Walmart but have gotten very short on time. I should probably start again..

Would you say a Costco membership is worth it for someone with my family size?

Yes if you would actually shop there. Is it convenient or hard to get to.

You can stock up on staples - their produce is excellent and well priced for the quality. You might need to plan your menus about to use it up.

For example, the price for red peppers is very good compared to what they sell for in the grocery store. I like to eat them raw or diced in a salad but I also can use them in some very good good dishes.

Citrus lasts a LONG time so I get bags of oranges and grapefruits.

Chicken if you buy their kosher brand is a good price and you can freeze it

It is only $60 per year and I can't imagine you wouldn't save at least that much. There are also good prices on things like batteries or even small appliances. I have gotten some Cuisinart stuff there at good prices.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
interesting, they're not a cheap store.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:01 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
interesting, they're not a cheap store.

I've tried NPGS and Bingo as well and didn't save money. This was about a year ago though, would you say their prices have increased more than other stores? I could try them again.

Evergreen is very inconvenient for me

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:29 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Maybe share what you bought and for how much

My weekly groceries is around 75-100 (including shabbos), for 2 adults and 2 toddlers

How do you manage this?!?!?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:36 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I guess you are in Israel, right?
If 600 NIS is USD 163 then groceries really seem to be through the roof. Groceries were always cheaper in the US compared to Israel. Always.
Something is wrong with America...

I am in America and buy mostly produce and raw foods and proteins. No dairy and ready made food for health plus kashrus plus cost.
Just like Israelis and my groceries are more than average. So I cant imagine israelis spending less because produce and real food costs more than junk food and empty calories.

These threads come up every so often and the bottom line is that every dollar a persom has is bashert and trying to save amd starve our family or feed them pasta instead of chicken is not what hashem wants from us. It says in bentching that he will always provide us with food. We just need to ask him to send us the money instead of trying to feel in control and counting our pennies.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've tried NPGS and Bingo as well and didn't save money. This was about a year ago though, would you say their prices have increased more than other stores? I could try them again.

Evergreen is very inconvenient for me

Bingo produce is definitely cheaper than gourmet or evergreen.
Trader joe and aldi are less. I dont know about walmart. Its too far from me.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here is what I bought

2 loaves ww bread
1/2 gallon milk
Small package shredded cheese
Small package sliced muenster
Cottage cheese
Dozen eggs
4 yogurts
Family pack drumsticks
Small pack cutlets
Sliced turkey breast
Frozen pizza
Olive oil
Macaroni
Chocolate chips
2 packs rice cakes
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 jars marinara
10 apples
Shredded cabbage
5 lb bag potatoes
5 lemons
2 lb sweet potatoes
4 zucchini
red onion
3 red peppers
Scallions
Grape tomatoes
Foil
Parchment paper
Food storage containers

No snacks?

No wonder I'm so overweight lol.

Puppies

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:46 pm
I’m a big Aldi fan. I get fruits/ veg there as well as cereal, paper towels, toilet paper etc.

Walmart delivery for household items, Baking needs, oil

I don’t use Costco- I find it so easy to overbuy because everything looks so good/is much cheaper that I walk out with a full cart even if I only came in for a few items. For the things I really like from there, I ask a friend to purchase for me when she goes- garbage bags, parchment paper, tin foil. These are things I only need once in a few months.

Kosher stores for milk, cheese, bread, meat.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here is what I bought

2 loaves ww bread
1/2 gallon milk
Small package shredded cheese
Small package sliced muenster
Cottage cheese
Dozen eggs
4 yogurts
Family pack drumsticks
Small pack cutlets
Sliced turkey breast
Frozen pizza
Olive oil
Macaroni
Chocolate chips
2 packs rice cakes
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 jars marinara
10 apples
Shredded cabbage
5 lb bag potatoes
5 lemons
2 lb sweet potatoes
4 zucchini
red onion
3 red peppers
Scallions
Grape tomatoes
Foil
Parchment paper
Food storage containers

That's actually a really decent price for those items.

We used to spend over 3k a month for a family of 6. That's was without diapers and wipe, tampons and such stuff.
We cut down recently. We started buying paper goods bulk. We also got the kids child proof dishes. They kept on breaking the dinnerware. So we started serving them in plastic but that meant we kept on having to take the trash out. And it's $$$. So now we got them their own set.$0.50 a piece. 4 kids. A cup plate and bowl each plus 2 extra for guests. Is total $9 at target.
Now we use so much less disposables and even so we buy bulk and keep in garage so it's even cheaper.
We also buy at our local discount store many items like sugar flower, pasta, baking supplies, mayo.... similar to bingo. Only cheaper. 10x smaller and they only have basics and no variety of different companies. Which in done mind. I'm in and out in 20 minutes.
Since then we cut the bill in half. It's crazy how much we could take away!

I also find it very hard to go shop around for prices in different stores for weekly items. It's too time consuming.
We shop at our local supermarket that's decently priced.
So we shop once every few weeks at the discount store and stock up. And same with Walmart. If we're there for I'd pick up some groceries. Same with some things only target carries. Stock up every 4 weeks or so.
Chicken we stock up on sale too. Keep in the garage freezer.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics