Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please help me with frozen Challa

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:09 pm
I've never done this before so I'd appreciate any and all guidance. I have whole Challas as well and slices of Challa in the freezer. Some are form a week ago and some are a bit older.

I'm wondering how I can warm them up so they are free and delicious for Shabbos, please can you tell me what your method is?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've never done this before so I'd appreciate any and all guidance. I have whole Challas as well and slices of Challa in the freezer. Some are form a week ago and some are a bit older.

I'm wondering how I can warm them up so they are free and delicious for Shabbos, please can you tell me what your method is?

I take them out of the freezer Thursday
- on Friday I heat oven up to 400 degrees once it reaches the temperature you turn of the oven and stick in challah for a half an hour
It tastes as if you just made it

Also when you freeze put a tissue in the bag it’s in and that will make sure it shouldn’t get freezer burned.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:25 pm
Interesting tip about the tissue. I'm going to try it!

I freeze only whole challah. I put it frozen straight into oven preheated to 400 for 20 min before the zman. Turn off before lighting lecht and leave in oven until meal. Yummy and fresh!

Light1234

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:46 pm
I defrost the challah first. It depends on the temp of the kitchen but usually a few hours on the counter. Then baked a few hours before Shabbos, usually 30 or 40 min at 400.
It's delicious warm but if timing is tight, I'll bake it on Thursday and just warm a bit on the Plata. It's also very good.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:08 pm
OP, are you talking about challah dough or challah that's already baked?

sara1232

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

Are u talking about fully baked challah?
I put mine straight from the freezer into the oven at 350 till it feels crispy (15ish min)

WhatFor

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Clear wrote:
OP, are you talking about challah dough or challah that's already baked?

She said slices so probably baked.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:39 pm
By the way, OP, for the slices, you can use them for Shabbat too, but you can also use them to make challah French toast during the week. It tends to go quickly in our house and makes more room in the freezer quicker.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 2:13 pm
I appreciate the responses! Learning a lot
So there is no need to pour water over the whole loaves when reheating?
And should I put it on a lower temperature if reheating in a toaster oven or will 400 be ok?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note