Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Pregnant cleaning lady

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:36 pm
My cleaning lady who I've had for over five years and really love is about 6 months pregnant. It bothers me to see her spending all this time on her feet cleaning as I know it's not easy, on the other hand I know she needs this job and I need a cleaning lady. I don't know what I can or can't ask her to do. I just am so uneasy about the whole thing. I work from home so I am always around. I can imagine as she gets farther along it will only get harder and I can't imagine having her clean my house. I know I can barely move when I am in my last trimester. I would never fire her but I just don't see how I can have her continue cleaning my house for so many hours. I feel so bad. I also can't afford to pay her and then hire someone else to clean. She comes three times a week for 5 hours at a time and every time she comes I just don't know what to do with myself.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:37 pm
For her it may be wayy easier than for you. Not everyone had the same hardships. You can give her more breaks and so on, but I don't think you have to feel sooo bad for her. Also, she probably doesn't have your lifestyle or as many children either. That adds a lot to it. Some people are physically stronger than others.

cupcake123

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:39 pm
Ouch that would make me super uncomfortable. I can't imagine telling someone in their 9th month clean the toilet, wash the floors....

amother
Daffodil

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:45 pm
Oof no advice OP, but that’s a real pickle. Would you sit down and discuss it with her?

Highstrung

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:49 pm
It’s going to be so hard during Pesach cleaning time , since she’ll be closer to her due date .
Many cleaning women do get pregnant and I understand it’s hard to watch them work so hard in this condition, but I’m assuming they are prepared to work that hard . Also in the beginning of pregnancy it’s harder to clean than when in the sixth month . At least that’s how it was for me.

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:53 pm
Does she speak English and can she do nanny work? Maybe she can do this for someone else and you hire another cleaning lady in the interim. Just thought of this because my nanny is actually pregnant and I was worried about her being able to work but she is in her 9th month and doing great. The babies are very young and she doesn’t need to run after them. I just have a problem now finding someone to nanny while she’s on leave!

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:06 pm
I really dont see the problem. I never had a cleaning lady even for Pesach when I was due around that time.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:20 pm
You need to talk to her.
You would never want to be the cause of any injury to her or the baby, and if you are not paying her legally, and she doesn’t have insurance for work injury, you better figure out if you would be protected.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:31 pm
I mean, if you let her go, she'll probably be cleaning someone else's toilets.

If she's wanting to work, I say keep her.... What's the alternative?

Maybe discuss with her? I'm sure if she doesn't want to work, she'll tell you she needs to take off. If she does, she'll be upset if you let her go. Don't decide for her!

amother
Trillium

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:32 pm
I was my own cleaning lady all through my pregnancy. I would let her know that she can take breaks more often.

mha3484

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:37 pm
Honestly I have adhd with the H. I don't sit still well. I am on my feet until the very end cooking, cleaning, baths etc. Some people find it horrifying but it’s how hashem made me. My house would he dysfunctional and Id be loosing my mind if I forced myself to always be sitting.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 11:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
My cleaning lady who I've had for over five years and really love is about 6 months pregnant. It bothers me to see her spending all this time on her feet cleaning as I know it's not easy, on the other hand I know she needs this job and I need a cleaning lady. I don't know what I can or can't ask her to do. I just am so uneasy about the whole thing. I work from home so I am always around. I can imagine as she gets farther along it will only get harder and I can't imagine having her clean my house. I know I can barely move when I am in my last trimester. I would never fire her but I just don't see how I can have her continue cleaning my house for so many hours. I feel so bad. I also can't afford to pay her and then hire someone else to clean. She comes three times a week for 5 hours at a time and every time she comes I just don't know what to do with myself.

Its only temporary, and if you liked for her 5 years, I would hold my tongue for the next 3 months or so. I would not ask her to move heavy stuff of course. Be mentchlech. She does this job because she has to, no 3 year old says "I want to grow up and be a cleaning lady".
Be nice to her, its an investment for the future.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry