Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OPWDD - Self Direction

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:16 pm
What’s the benefit of using a broker. It appears I can be my son’s own broker (at no pay) - just need to take some courses.

I’m good with record keeping, document review and Excel

Will I lose out if I don’t use an agency? Anyone is doing it on their own?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:20 pm
That's an interesting question. I wonder though if OPWDD would have an issue with it being conflict of interest. I also wonder if your agency would allow this since they make money from billing brokerage.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:25 pm
OPWDD allows as long as I don’t get paid. I won’t need an agency. The questions is if I’ll lose more that I’ll gain.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
What’s the benefit of using a broker. It appears I can be my son’s own broker (at no pay) - just need to take some courses.

I’m good with record keeping, document review and Excel

Will I lose out if I don’t use an agency? Anyone is doing it on their own?

If you have the time and skills go for it.
If you don't know what you're doing (or even if you do), it's essentially a full time job so take into account whether or not you have the time and energy for it...
Many people with children that have special needs don't, which is why they use a broker.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:43 pm
In what way is it a full time job - it’s submitting paperwork for 1 case. A broker generally does it for many cases.

I’m just scared that I might overlook something and end up losing out. Would like to know if anyone tried doing it on their own and what their experience was.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
In what way is it a full time job - it’s submitting paperwork for 1 case. A broker generally does it for many cases.

I’m just scared that I might overlook something and end up losing out. Would like to know if anyone tried doing it on their own and what their experience was.

I don't know anyone that did it on their own. I do know a number of people that find it too difficult to do self-direction even with a broker...

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 6:54 pm
What is the benefit of being his broker ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)