Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Organic vs non organic apples

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:40 pm
Not sure if this is the right forum. My husband tells me regular apples are sold with a coating that some feel is problematic but organic ones don't have it. I try to get organic but very few stores have it. I was just curious how many people believe this. After all, the coating is so light that even if there might be a halachic issue, it seems negligible and therefore not an issue. He gets upset when I buy regular even though we rinse them off.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:42 pm
He’s concerned from a halachic perspective? I highly doubt it’s an issue —- who can afford organic apples? Is peeling-them an option for him?

scruffy

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:43 pm
Yes conventional apples usually have a wax coating that makes them shiny. I thought that was common knowledge.

I never thought about halachic issues with the wax, but it's definitely there.

Why don't you ask your rav what to do?

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:51 pm
Would he be okay if you washed it with vegetable/produce soap? Did he clarify with a Rav?

Light1234

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 1:56 pm
I have never heard of this issue, but only the opposite that organic sometimes has more worms and bugs. I guess lots of cleaning needed both ways. Would be interested to hear what a rov has to say.

csstb

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 2:18 pm
There are some poskim who do not allow animal-based shellac (resinous glaze) on fruit. Others, probably most, have no problem with it.

https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....er-2/

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Feb 20 2024, 2:29 pm
The issue is shellac, not wax. There are some fruit and vegetable washes that claim to remove it, but I don't know if there's any evidence for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen