Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dd hates school

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:08 pm
She’s in first grade, super bright kid bh. I have to fight with her every morning to go to school, it’s tearing me apart to see her so unhappy. So there are few reasons why I think she’s not happy and would love to hear ideas if there’s anything I can do to improve the situation.

1. She’s bh a gifted kid that’s super bright (we had her evaluated). She gets bored in class easily because she picks everything up right away.
2. The rest of the girls in her class are a little but more laid back and I think she’s maybe not finding her place.
3. She’s a very active and high energy kid, and can misbehave if she sees she’s getting attention for it. (Not adhd bh)
4. We have a neighbor that’s in the parallel class who’s a very positive kid and has this way of talking that whatever she has is the best. Dd not very secure of herself and gets jealous easily, and it’s effecting her views on her teachers cause the other kid keeps on saying how hers are so much better.

I don’t think it’s normal in first grade to hate school this much. I literally have to drag her out the door every morning. We already spoke to the school of maybe switching classes for next year, but what can I do to help her now?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:16 pm
I have this same issue. My kid is older already. I spoke to someone who works on advocating for gifted kids. She says basically the frum system doesn’t have support for our kids. She said we should figure out a way to have our kid stimulated in school more. Either by having the teacher give her special sheets that are fun and challenging, or have a tutor pull her out of class and teach her something on a higher level, or get permission for her to pull out books or workbooks in class. She also said we should have some sort of brain stimulation at home after school, either on the computer or a class/ hobby she can develop.

The summary is when their brain sits idle all day because the work is too easy, it leads to all sorts of bad feelings.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:19 pm
Maybe it's worth looking in to switching her to a more highly academic school. Even if it's not exactly within your hashkafik values.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I have this same issue. My kid is older already. I spoke to someone who works on advocating for gifted kids. She says basically the frum system doesn’t have support for our kids. She said we should figure out a way to have our kid stimulated in school more. Either by having the teacher give her special sheets that are fun and challenging, or have a tutor pull her out of class and teach her something on a higher level, or get permission for her to pull out books or workbooks in class. She also said we should have some sort of brain stimulation at home after school, either on the computer or a class/ hobby she can develop.

The summary is when their brain sits idle all day because the work is too easy, it leads to all sorts of bad feelings.

Thanks. Tell me at least that it gets better when they’re older…

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Tell me at least that it gets better when they’re older…

Yes every year gets so much better. As the work gets harder they stay ahead of the class but at least they are working a bit. I still need the teachers to give some extra things sometimes but my kid is handling the whole situation a lot better.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:22 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Maybe it's worth looking in to switching her to a more highly academic school. Even if it's not exactly within your hashkafik levels.

Unfortunately, where I live there aren’t any other options of schools. We tried getting into those schools before she started originally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics