Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Renovations without permits Brooklyn
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:12 am
amother Natural wrote:
If a house had violations on it that’s different. That means they were previously caught for doing something wrong. That’s totally different than years later selling a house that happens to have had work done years earlier with no issue. Also the house we sold a few years ago was a two we switched to a one. We still called it a two family on paper. Nobody is coming in to inspect so how would they know?

Thanks for (trying) to explain. I still have questions. 😉
Can *I* be caught with violations down the line?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:16 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Its brooklyn its extremely common. Its not such a big deal. Its a little extra paper work & fees and it gets ironed out. My neighbor bought with an illegal extension, it was a while back but it is doable. You have a good inspector and no worries.

What type of paperwork?
Does that mean there won't be any violations down the line if it gets ironed out during the buying process?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for (trying) to explain. I still have questions. 😉
Can *I* be caught with violations down the line?

Yes you can be caught at any time. Also I know a lawyer that was involved in issues of illegal construction. A few of them were house fires, and some minor collapses. From a safety stand point he works in Brooklyn and has dealt with many injuries which were the fall out of not building to code. No contractor is careful enough when he’s not being inspected they definitely cut corners every single time.

It’s not simple paperwork that you just iron out like people try to claim. ( also keep in mind anyone on here who did illegal construction and wants to sell will try to majorly downplay it all for their benefit ) it’s thousands of dollars in fines. I also know some who had to knock down the work according to this lawyer. It honestly seems like a major headache that is just not worth it.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:01 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Yes you can be caught at any time. Also I know a lawyer that was involved in issues of illegal construction. A few of them were house fires, and some minor collapses. From a safety stand point he works in Brooklyn and has dealt with many injuries which were the fall out of not building to code. No contractor is careful enough when he’s not being inspected they definitely cut corners every single time.

It’s not simple paperwork that you just iron out like people try to claim. ( also keep in mind anyone on here who did illegal construction and wants to sell will try to majorly downplay it all for their benefit ) it’s thousands of dollars in fines. I also know some who had to knock down the work according to this lawyer. It honestly seems like a major headache that is just not worth it.

Houses on my block sell before they even hit the market. especially those that have been renovated and extended already with or without permits. I have no vested interest in selling my cause. Just would hate a buyer to walk away from something nice because of a concern that isn’t worth much. To add, I don’t plan to sell my house for a while… just did a nearly 1 million dollar renovation. With no permits. Yes I was a bit anxious while the work was going on. But I know the work done was impeccable top quality and what we did was consistent with what everyone else did. And if I want to sell I feel pretty comfortable that I will have no trouble.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:09 am
amother Natural wrote:
Houses on my block sell before they even hit the market. especially those that have been renovated and extended already with or without permits. I have no vested interest in selling my cause. Just would hate a buyer to walk away from something nice because of a concern that isn’t worth much. To add, I don’t plan to sell my house for a while… just did a nearly 1 million dollar renovation. With no permits. Yes I was a bit anxious while the work was going on. But I know the work done was impeccable top quality and what we did was consistent with what everyone else did. And if I want to sell I feel pretty comfortable that I will have no trouble.

Good for you. That means you had zero inspections and you have no idea who cut what corners. I just hope it continues working out well for you 10,20,30 years down the line. It’s not about only being caught which you still can be at any point. It’s about having no idea if your electrical work, foundation, gas etc.. are safe. And usually people find out the very hard way. But also since you did illegal work you aren’t really in the position to give unbiased advice about the serious risks both safety and monetary to a potential buyer.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:12 am
amother OP wrote:
What do you mean she stands to make little? She only gains if the house sells.
Why shouldn't she push the sale?
The more im digging, the house isn't selling, so it may be related...)
(To be clear - I don't know her so it's not personal. You just mentioned her and she happens to be the agent)

If the sale goes through, what realistic problems can pop up?

You wont have a valid CO which makes getting a mortgage quite a hassle. The city can also make you take down whatever illegal work was done.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:15 am
Good for you. That means you had zero inspections and you have no idea who cut what corners. I just hope it continues working out well for you 10,20,30 years down the line. It’s not about only being caught which you still can be at any point. It’s about having no idea if your electrical work, foundation, gas etc.. are safe. And usually people find out the very hard way. But also since you did illegal work you aren’t really in the position to give unbiased advice about the serious risks both safety and monetary to a potential buyer.

We used one of the top contractors in Flatbush. He built to the same standards he would in any house permits or not minus some of the stupidity that needs to be done just to get permits. (Like needing outlets on two sides of an island— not a safety issue but one of a list of requirements— he said often Ppl do it for inspection and then have it removed. And often there’s a phase two after the c of o where the “real” work happens. So a permit doesn’t necessarily ensure what you think it does. And it’s often bought. It’s a corrupt system to say the least. And they throw violations at people for reasons that have no connection to safety.)

arn

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:16 am
amother Violet wrote:
You wont have a valid CO which makes getting a mortgage quite a hassle. The city can also make you take down whatever illegal work was done.

You don’t need one bec nobody has any record you did any work! That’s only an issue if you have an open permit or violations

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:20 am
amother Natural wrote:
We used one of the top contractors in Flatbush. He built to the same standards he would in any house permits or not minus some of the stupidity that needs to be done just to get permits. (Like needing outlets on two sides of an island— not a safety issue but one of a list of requirements— he said often Ppl do it for inspection and then have it removed. And often there’s a phase two after the c of o where the “real” work happens. So a permit doesn’t necessarily ensure what you think it does. And it’s often bought. It’s a corrupt system to say the least. And they throw violations at people for reasons that have no connection to safety.)

I’m basing my information on facts. Not thoughts or feelings. You have no idea what you are talking about. Most of the unsafe work is behind the walls. The most important inspections that really matter are the base layer, electrical wiring, gas pipes, foundation etc.. if that is not inspected you are not safe period. I know top of the line contractors that did shoddy work and eventually they were caught because people died or were seriously injured. Until they were caught they had excellent names and were highly recommended and sought after. Permits and inspections are not a government gimmick. They are there for everyone’s safety. And if you don’t understand this you really should not be handing out advice at all. And you listened to this guy’s word, he had everything to gain by you going along with this.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:24 am
arn wrote:
You don’t need one bec nobody has any record you did any work! That’s only an issue if you have an open permit or violations

That’s not correct. They can inspect at any time, if they decide to rezone, raise taxes etc.. just because it didn’t happen in the short time people own and did work doesn’t mean it’s not happening soon to the new buyer. Also if they do catch you and sometimes they do realize for whatever reason, you are up the creek without a paddle. And last of all you risk your safety. And since this thread is a buyer asking the risks, don’t downplay them. They are real and very risky for a buyer.

arn

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:25 am
That’s not correct. They can inspect at any time, if they decide to rezone, raise taxes etc.. just because it didn’t happen in the short time people own and did work doesn’t mean it’s not happening soon to the new buyer. Also if they do catch you and sometimes they do realize for whatever reason, you are up the creek without a paddle. And last of all you risk your safety. And since this thread is a buyer asking the risks, don’t downplay them. They are real and very risky for a buyer.

Do you live in Flatbush? I think things work very differently in different places. This is really the norm here for better or for worse

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:26 am
I paid for permits and did every inspection. And yes my contractor complained. He had to actually do more work than he usually does. Which is really all you need to know. If you think they do not cut corners that affect your safety when they will not be inspected because there are no permits, I have a bridge to sell you .

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:28 am
arn wrote:
Do you live in Flatbush? I think things work very differently in different places. This is really the norm here for better or for worse

Yes I do. And the lawyer I mentioned works in flatbush, boro park, and Williamsburg. And you do not want to know the fall outs he deals with daily. I can’t believe people are willing to risk fires, collapses and other issues that were straight up caused by lack of permits, inspections and oversight.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:42 am
Unless you are an expert at electrical, gas, construction, plumbing, foundations... every single part of construction and were inspecting it each step of the way-- you have no idea if it was done safely. It doesn't matter if it was a 10k renovation or you spent 1 mil on it. Not every city rule is pointless. And how do you know there wasn't a reason for the rule if you are not a licensed electrician, plumber etc?

Why are posters minimizing the risks? Safety wise first and foremost. But also if the city ever inspects whoever is the owner is liable. They may make you tear it down and pay fines.

Let's stop promoting breaking laws and regulations. Especially if it is safety related!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:42 pm
All I can tell you its MAZAL!!!!!! I bought a house on auction in brooklyn for a bargain price . I I did minimal work. NO extension Nothing exterior etc. The neighbor next door called Police, DOB etc and waited outside for them to come and showed them exactly how and where. This house has since then caused me endless agravation. I wished sometimes I wouldn't have it. I got a violation for every single thing. Plumbing , Electric etc etc. I now have to put a sprinkler system in a little house. GO laugh, no one even wants the job. Yes I have an expediter and architect etc but it all costs big money and the time to remove each one. I meanwhile Have FIVE other families who bought on the block as its a growing area and not one got caught. They have made extensions, put dumpsters on the street etc. Its mazal. The hurtful part was one woman telling me " YOu were the korban for all of us" I dont know what to tell you. You just never really know with these things. And one more thing, Good luck with DOB. Its a bunch of sassy rude people who feel superior since they have an inch of power of you.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:54 pm
If the home was lived in post renovation for two plus years, you could be comfortable that most issues were worked out.

Get a home inspection

No one knows what’s behind closed walls. Maybe a snake is snipping wires-Chas Veshalom.

I would not trust a broker, do your own research

Title , which is done before closing will tell you if there are any violations.

Consult with an expert lawyer in illegal construction on the property in question to hear the risk involved on this property
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics