Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working as a therapist in Israel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 6:52 am
Considering Aliyah. I’m a masters level therapist and EMDR trained here in the states. Would I be able to have a private practice in Israel? Is therapy covered by insurance there? Are there clinics that pay well with good hours?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 6:58 am
I'd keep your American clients and work on phone or zoom. I live here in the US and have been seeing the same therapist for years. Since covid, our sessions are on phone- and even though she reopened her office years ago already, I actually prefer phone- just easier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:08 am
amother Daylily wrote:
I'd keep your American clients and work on phone or zoom. I live here in the US and have been seeing the same therapist for years. Since covid, our sessions are on phone- and even though she reopened her office years ago already, I actually prefer phone- just easier.

But I don’t have a private practice right now in the US. I work at a clinic for over 10 years but I’d like to go private AND I’d like to make Aliyah so weighing which one

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:22 am
I'm still a student. But here's what I've gathered.

Yes, you can open a private practice. per hour rate here (I'm in Jerusalem for reference, my numbers apply locally afaik) for a very experienced private therapist ranges up to 500 shekel. So it's (obviously) a lot less than what someone can make in the US, but that's something that you just have to adjust to here. Cost of living is lower, tuition is not a big expense, etc etc, and salaries are accordingly.

How's your hebrew? Are you interested/willing to work on it enough to work in a hebrew speaking clinic, and/or with hebrew speaking clients? On a related note, what type of places are you thinking of moving to? Because if you are hoping to move to a yishuv someplace kinda random your options will be very different than if you are thinking of efrat, RBS, or jerusalem.

There are defintely clinics here, and workplaces in Israel tend to be more family-friendly than in the US. I can try to give more info if you specify about language and location.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:24 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
I'm still a student. But here's what I've gathered.

Yes, you can open a private practice. per hour rate here (I'm in Jerusalem for reference, my numbers apply locally afaik) for a very experienced private therapist ranges up to 500 shekel. So it's (obviously) a lot less than what someone can make in the US, but that's something that you just have to adjust to here. Cost of living is lower, tuition is not a big expense, etc etc, and salaries are accordingly.

How's your hebrew? Are you interested/willing to work on it enough to work in a hebrew speaking clinic, and/or with hebrew speaking clients? On a related note, what type of places are you thinking of moving to? Because if you are hoping to move to a yishuv someplace kinda random your options will be very different than if you are thinking of efrat, RBS, or jerusalem.

There are defintely clinics here, and workplaces in Israel tend to be more family-friendly than in the US. I can try to give more info if you specify about language and location.

No Hebrew. I won’t be able to speak comfortably for a while. And probably RBS

Reality

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:47 am
amother OP wrote:
No Hebrew. I won’t be able to speak comfortably for a while. And probably RBS

There is definitely a need in RBS for English speaking therapists. There are English speaking clinics here through the kupah system and private practices as well.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 6:19 pm
Is an American degree counted in the same way an Israeli one is?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:39 pm
Hi,

Unfortunately, there are practically no positions available in the Israeli mental health system for US style psychotherapists. Israel only formally recognises "expressive arts" therapists (art therapists and dramatherapists). Other types of therapists typically work privately.

As far as fees go, the vast majority of Israelis can't afford private therapy. What I see is that private therapists often charge a hefty fee but may only have a few regular clients. It's hard to make a living that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics