Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
2nd career for medical professional in her early 50s

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:51 am
I’m seeking a transition out of medicine. I’m burned out and no longer want the paperwork and stress. I’m fantasizing about a change. I’m good at what I do but it has come at a cost evidently.
I have zero business experience and don’t want an option that involves service to people or dependent on high customer satisfaction.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:54 am
What about teaching?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:26 am
If you find a good profession without stress, please let us know.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:38 am
I know one ex-doctor who edits medical textbooks. She wanted a lower stress job that would allow her to be at home with her children. I do t know how she found the job, though.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:41 am
I would think that some fields not in the medical profession would welcome a medical professional on board in a different capacity, if their experience can somehow enhance what they are working on. For instance, many paramedics I know took a second career in selling/advertising/working for medical equipment companies or similar. I own a sort of medicine based business (keeping our vague on purpose, what I do is unique in my field), and have different medical professionals on board.

Maybe if you post what field you work in, and/or which aspects of the job you are good at or enjoy, we could help you brainstorm for what might be a good second career option?

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:47 am
Try reading a book or two about starting a second career, and the various options for career testing.

When I changed careers (not from medical field), I consulted with someone at JVS who specialized in helping professionals switch tracks. It was a worthwhile investment. Career testing can be, too.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:48 am
I know a doctor who works for an insurance company reviewing cases to determine authorization.
Maybe medical advocacy would be something of interest where you can apply you knowledge

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 9:39 am
imasinger wrote:
Try reading a book or two about starting a second career, and the various options for career testing.

When I changed careers (not from medical field), I consulted with someone at JVS who specialized in helping professionals switch tracks. It was a worthwhile investment. Career testing can be, too.

What's JVS?

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:25 am
Insurance

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:54 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
What's JVS?

Jewish Vocational Service

gingybread

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:00 pm
Have you thought about trying to get a job in pharma or biotech?

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:12 pm
When I was a student we had a teacher who was officially a doctor. She was a gynecologist. However she was licensed in another country. Instead of trying to become licensed in the United States, she became a teacher instead. She taught anatomy and physiology.
Another option, something I always wanted to do - is to open a lab. A small lab that draws blood etc. It’s not that complicated however these days there are so many on site labs at different medical centers so I’m not sure how great the need it .

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:58 pm
Look into technical writing, especially on the medical field. Biotech experience is very helpful if you have any.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics