Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Mishloach manot- how much do you spend??
Previous  1  2

Highstrung

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:25 pm
About $3-$5 each including packaging . Giving about 20-25

Golde

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:54 pm
I see a bit what I can afford and what I have time to make homemade, but I always take into account that however much I spend on mishloach manot, I will have to spend more on matanot laevyonim. So we sometimes cut down on the amount of mm we give, it depends on the year.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:08 pm
How do you all have so many people to give to??

Purim is when I realize I don't have many friends - not because we don't get, but because I have hardly any to give Sad

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:21 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
We do a danish and a drink for the adults. I think it comes out cheaper than fruits and snack. Usually either 3/4$

I found a nice drink at Dollar Store. So this is pretty cheap. And is name brand, cheaper than anywhere else. I lucked out.
Can't do Danish because no one wants homemade unless you are a Rav and where I live OOT heimish products are super expensive. (Plus I don't have time to bake. I work full time and can't cover expenses...)

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:31 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
We try to spend 150 shekels max on family ones. My kids don't give out much yet so we don't worry much about it.

Thats a lot of money for a single mishloach manos. What could you possibly put in? How many like that are you making?

We try to spend 100 shekels at the most, usually less, for all the ones we send including all food and bags.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:38 pm
I don't do elaborate mm because I was spending so much time and money on it and itdidn't seem to matter the one year I was post baby and gave easy small thing. Purim was just as nice. Now I do a bought muffin and a chocolate. Wrapped up in colors to match our theme that year. It's small but I love not having to think about it. Comes out about 5.50 each including the wrapping. I give about 30, depending which family members will be in town that year. The kids I do pretty cheap too, about 2.50, but I like making extras so if a sibling comes along with a classmate, or someone shows up unexpectedly, I can hand them one too.
For teachers I give a check and a chocolate bar. Wrapped nicely. It's compact to send to school.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:53 pm
usually $2-3 including food and pkging. I usually tie in to a theme with 2 or 3 food items. (either with costumes or even something alone) I find if you have a theme you can get away with giving less. usually it's a drink and a food item. I would also give an iced coffee and individually pkged pastry if I didn't have a theme. I make around 35. plus a bunch for the kids, theirs is usually less than $2 each. and some nicer ones about $15 (with or without checks) for rebbeim, teachers, rabbanim. It all ads up but there's not much I can do to get them cheaper and I still think they come out presentable every year. Obv not high end, but presentable and ppl like them, comment they are very nice/cute/yummy etc.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Stone wrote:
Thats a lot of money for a single mishloach manos. What could you possibly put in? How many like that are you making?

We try to spend 100 shekels at the most, usually less, for all the ones we send including all food and bags.

I meant 150 for ALL of the ones me and dh give out. We try to spend 100 but it depends on the year and our theme.

amother
Wallflower

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:32 pm
$12 I only give 15 mm plus Rebbe and Rav 20 each with check

mandr

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:35 pm
How do people make a mm for 1.50? Can you elaborate.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:40 pm
I don’t really budget but I usually spend about 5-7$ each.
I don’t make tons though. About 35.
I give rebbeim a bottle of wine and a check so they’re not included.

amother
White

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 10:47 pm
I would much rather spend less on each and be more inclusive.
If I am not mistaken the idea behind MM is to foster good will between a person and their neighbors, so to me hiddur mitzvah would be inclusivity as opposed to opulence (which might be hiddur mitzva at a Shabbos meal). I have seen to many children (and adults TBH) feel hurt and slighted when they didn’t make the cut. I only have 2 teenage children, but I make about 100. I aspire to delivery (but hope they are not home as I don’t want they to feel pressured to reciprocate) as opposed to waiting for people to come to us-as they should feel important that we wanted to give them, not that they were an afterthought. We usually have a many extras from the 100, and there are always people who bring to us that I didn’t think of, and I am happy to have one to give. Typically, after Purim is over, I do Ave somewhere between 3-12 to unassembled and put away (but I always give things I want to eat anyway, so I am happy for the leftovers).

I spend between $1-2 each, and don’t give a pile of garbage.
I usually buy a drink-can of soda/flavors seltzer/water ~$0.50, a snack/chip bag at about $0.35 (Costco-see what is on sale/value) and some chocolate (not CY, usually Hershey’s or whatever I find at Costco). Put it in an amazing savings cellophane bag with a curled ribbon. Sometimes we can figure out a little theme and write a small poem.

One year I found Starbucks drinks at Costco and I baked beautiful cookies.
One year we did a movie theater theme-can of Coke, Twizzlers, bag of microwave popcorn, fun size Hershey’s chocolate bars.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:49 am
amother White wrote:
I would much rather spend less on each and be more inclusive.
If I am not mistaken the idea behind MM is to foster good will between a person and their neighbors, so to me hiddur mitzvah would be inclusivity as opposed to opulence (which might be hiddur mitzva at a Shabbos meal). I have seen to many children (and adults TBH) feel hurt and slighted when they didn’t make the cut. I only have 2 teenage children, but I make about 100. I aspire to delivery (but hope they are not home as I don’t want they to feel pressured to reciprocate) as opposed to waiting for people to come to us-as they should feel important that we wanted to give them, not that they were an afterthought. We usually have a many extras from the 100, and there are always people who bring to us that I didn’t think of, and I am happy to have one to give. Typically, after Purim is over, I do Ave somewhere between 3-12 to unassembled and put away (but I always give things I want to eat anyway, so I am happy for the leftovers).

I spend between $1-2 each, and don’t give a pile of garbage.
I usually buy a drink-can of soda/flavors seltzer/water ~$0.50, a snack/chip bag at about $0.35 (Costco-see what is on sale/value) and some chocolate (not CY, usually Hershey’s or whatever I find at Costco). Put it in an amazing savings cellophane bag with a curled ribbon. Sometimes we can figure out a little theme and write a small poem.

One year I found Starbucks drinks at Costco and I baked beautiful cookies.
One year we did a movie theater theme-can of Coke, Twizzlers, bag of microwave popcorn, fun size Hershey’s chocolate bars.

Giving not CY chocolate isn’t very inclusive. I wouldn’t eat it, it would be a waste.

Golde

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:21 am
amother Ecru wrote:
Giving not CY chocolate isn’t very inclusive. I wouldn’t eat it, it would be a waste.

Well, that would depend on her circles, wouldn't it? Usually you would know if your friends eat CY or not. If everyone eats chalav stam, there's no need to spend the extra for CY.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:06 am
amother Ecru wrote:

That is the silliest comment I have ever heard. My entire community eats chalav stam or I wouldn’t use it, but good to know what you eat. Although I have no idea who you are. The only person I know who doesn’t eat chalav stam is my neighbor’s son who moved to Lakewood and is not in my community. I specifically wrote it was Hershey’s as I don’t know the price point of CY chocolate and would not want to send someone on a wild goose chase to look for something they will not find or feel like a failure if they couldn’t match the price.
But thank you.

(Not to mention, it would still be inclusive as I would give the person, but yes, they would waste it. I don’t eat banana Laffy Taffy, my child don’t either. Is it exclusive if I don’t eat a component of what someone sends?)

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:17 am
$6.75 per each x 35.

3 of my kids prepare between 5-10 for their friends. I let them buy whatever they want (almost) but we didn’t take care of theirs yet.

I have another mm idea that I used to do that cost a little under $5. My teen daughters have been telling me that it’s really not so classy so I “upgraded” a little and they approve.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics