Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I'm angry
Previous  1  2

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
In my kids schools, all extra curricular is included in the $100 G.O. fee, besides for 1 trip a year. The $100 per kid, most likely doesn't cover all extra curricular they have.

Then why didn't you put that disclaimer in your post. Its disingenuous to post that 'most parents' are ok with it, when your knowledge extends to scenarios with small fees.

You can understand that more people would object when the fees are significantly higher.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:27 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
Then why didn't you put that disclaimer in your post. Its disingenuous to post that 'most parents' are ok with it, when your knowledge extends to scenarios with small fees.

You can understand that more people would object when the fees are significantly higher.

It seems like OP is bothered by the extra's because she thinks it's a waste of time & takes away from the kid's learning.
I'm sharing my opinion that it's not a waste of time & is a good boost for the kids.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:39 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
It seems like OP is bothered by the extra's because she thinks it's a waste of time & takes away from the kid's learning.
I'm sharing my opinion that it's not a waste of time & is a good boost for the kids.

I quote from OP's post:
Why every week there is another activity I need to pay for on top of the tuition while the kids are not learning?
Let the kids learn already! And stop charging me for wasting the kids time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:54 pm
I'm bothered by both, the the extra charges and the waste of useful time, as well as the pressure the kids are under to fit it all in.
I get the need for extra curricular, but find it to be excessive in the last few years. There need to be more balance for the kids and a bit of understanding from the school staff re the cost / stress these activities entail.

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:57 pm
To put this into perspective.... How many days in the school year are they going on trips vs having a regular day in school?

Is it really so terrible that they are enjoying themselves 10% of the time?

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm bothered by both, the the extra charges and the waste of useful time, as well as the pressure the kids are under to fit it all in.
I get the need for extra curricular, but find it to be excessive in the last few years. There need to be more balance for the kids and a bit of understanding from the school staff re the cost / stress these activities entail.

Okay, this part, I totally get why you are annoyed.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:07 pm
We moved this summer largely due to our dissatisfaction with the local school.
I seriously felt like my kids were going to camp each day. Assemblies, projects, parties, siyumim, plays, day after day. I think they were given candy, nosh and soda for some "legitimate" reason 3 or 4 times a week.
I'm all for extracurricular and letting all kids shine, but ultimately we send our kids to school to get an education. And when kids aren't productive I find they're not happy, no matter how much they're having.
Bh the school where we are now does an amazing job of finding the perfect balance. My kids are learning but they're still so happy to go. I thank Hashem everyday!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:14 pm
amother White wrote:
To put this into perspective.... How many days in the school year are they going on trips vs having a regular day in school?

Is it really so terrible that they are enjoying themselves 10% of the time?

I promise, in the last few weeks and in the next few weeks the kids have had and are going to have at least 1 activity every week for which they needed to bring money/ make customs or decorations / stay up late to finish the work. In addition to having regular school work and tests in between those activities. I also have to take off from work to come twice this year to school for mother-daughter lunch and the graduation. For some reason this can't be done as a melave malka or on Sunday.
It's a vent, and I'm not going to change anything by being angry, but I just don't get the schools...

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 11:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do teachers live in a parallel reality? I send my kids to school to learn / get education. I'm paying for the schooling. Why every week there is another activity I need to pay for on top of the tuition while the kids are not learning?
Last week they went swimming, now they are going snow tubing, they are having mother / daughter lunch in another week, Purim chagiga ( yes, there is a G.O. fee), + yearbook fee, graduation trip fee, class melave malka prep and who knows what else.
Let the kids learn already! And stop charging me for wasting the kids time. My 14 year old goes to sleep between 9-10pm. She needs the sleep. She will have years, iyh when she won't be able to sleep, so why not let her sleep in elementary school?
Signed, a very angry mother. Banging head

You lost me at the first sentence.

Teachers end up taking the brunt for it all. There were so many times my husband sponsored the pizza for 20+ kids on the field trips because the school told the kids to bring sandwiches and he saw the kids were hungry.

At the trip who’s do you think lays out the money for costs the school didn’t consider when planning the trip? My husband usually asks the school to pay him back and then ends up taking it from maiser.

My husband would much rather have the kids in their desks than chasing them around an amusement park on a hot day.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:02 pm
Extra curricular coordinator and morah here

The school I work for didn't always have a program. And they had middle school girls who were bored, doing things they shouldn't be doing in school and out, and honestly a lot of kids who hated school. I can't say all of those problems are gone with our program, but it's definitely better for most girls.

Maybe our program is more balanced? We ask for a total of $50 from parents throughout the year for a few different programs, one of which is optional and only needs to be paid if students want to join (out of school hours). We don't have activities every week - approximately once a month for RC and a few big activities throughout the year (shabbaton, carnival, chaggigah). We go on a lag b'omer trip too usually. The girls live for it and it really brings out their kochos. Not every girl can handle going to school for no reason other than learning. It makes a huge difference when there are exciting things on the horizon.

Could be your school is more extravagant or has more programming than needed, but just wanted to say there's another side.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics