Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Rather not get raise so not need to pay for insurance?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:05 am
Im the OP of the medical insurance thread

I'm just wondering

maybe we're supposed remain low income so we get medicaid coverage....

it's not like we're earning so much money

215K for family of 7

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:14 am
The income limit for Medicaid for a family of 7 in NYS is $50,000

You would have to drastically reduce your income, not just turn down a raise

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:17 am
215k should get you zero benefits. (not even nj family care, you’d have to make under 160k about for fam of 7, and that’s the highest percentile ) Like the previous ima said, you need to basically make nothing to be on Medicaid.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:19 am
Sounds like a good income to me!! Bh!

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:25 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
215k should get you zero benefits. (not even nj family care, you’d have to make under 160k about for fam of 7, and that’s the highest percentile ) Like the previous ima said, you need to basically make nothing to be on Medicaid.

And a family of 7 making 160k will need to pay around $50 a month premium plus $10-$15 copays and parents aren't eligible at all (unless mom is pregnant).
Even that adds up significantly.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:28 am
@amother indianred 100%. 215k is Bhh an amazing salary to me, and to the government too!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:56 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
@amother indianred 100%. 215k is Bhh an amazing salary to me, and to the government too!

its combined income - not just from one person

I'm not complaining at all

but I'm definitely not covering my expenses Sad

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
its combined income - not just from one person

I'm not complaining at all

but I'm definitely not covering my expenses Sad

I assumed it was combined. Maybe find a way to cut down on expenses?

Unless you’re paying 100k+ on health insurance (obviously not), it would not be financially beneficial to lower your income to the poverty line.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im the OP of the medical insurance thread

I'm just wondering

maybe we're supposed remain low income so we get medicaid coverage....

it's not like we're earning so much money

215K for family of 7

How did you just get kicked off Medicaid? That is way too much to get benefits and honestly shouldn't get anything.

I make 60k and can't get SNAP and am trying for Medicaid for my kids--- won't get for the parents. Family of 5, DH lost job. We can't afford life even without tuition- under market rent, food, health insurance, copay, not covered medical care...

215k is a lot of money. Take a deep look at your bills. What can be reduced or cut down? Any takeout ever? Coffee? Vacations, trips, or piano lessons? What style/type of clothing do you buy? How often? I have a friend who buys seasonal stuff so even if it lasts she can't have her kids wear it longer than a season (velvet on shabbos shoes- better to get something to last as long as they fit). She also buys every season even if her kids still fit their old clothes. Just mentioning it because if she ever felt the need to cut back she would never assume that what I was saying was even realistic but that's what we do. And did even when DH had a job.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:26 pm
If you post a breakdown of your monthly expenses, we may be able to help you see where you can cut down.

It's very hard... but debt is harder. (There comes a time when you can't even use credit cards anymore. That's when it's REALLY hard. Best not to get to that point.)

I'm assuming you have a high mortgage, plus utilities, taxes, vehicles, and tuition means that the amounts don't feel so flexible. But maybe there is more wiggle room than you think.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:33 pm
215K for a family of seven and you qualify for benefits? I make about 110K, we're a family of six, and I think we're doing just fine. I admit I never applied for benefits because I assume we don't qualify. We're not living lavishly but making ends meet. How do you qualify for benefits with your income?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:51 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
215K for a family of seven and you qualify for benefits? I make about 110K, we're a family of six, and I think we're doing just fine. I admit I never applied for benefits because I assume we don't qualify. We're not living lavishly but making ends meet. How do you qualify for benefits with your income?

Not sure which state you're in, but you absolutely can get subsidized help at that salary in NY. See this chart:
https://www.health.ny.gov/heal.....t.htm

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:29 am
can someone post the insurance thread link ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics