Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is anyone's teen on Abilify or other antipsychotic?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 5:18 pm
Also, can someone be on abilify long term? it seems like then the risks are greater for tardive dyskinesia. Is abilify ever used more short, like half a year to help ground them and work out their ideas in therapy? Or is it unrealistic to think there will be lasting change if they then go off the medication?

amother
Acacia

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:12 pm
I was on for more than 3 years without any side effects. My relative was on and developed TD but went off right away and it went away.

givelove

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:32 pm
I’ve been on it for OCD. I found it helped to quiet my brain. I personally didn’t have any side effects.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 9:37 pm
My teen daughter was on it for about a year plus for depression. No major side affects except tired so she took it at night. She's been off it for years now no issues. No meds anymore bh.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 1:04 am
My therapist wants me to start taking Abilify for ASD. This thread has been so helpful. Thanks OP

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 1:45 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
My therapist wants me to start taking Abilify for ASD. This thread has been so helpful. Thanks OP

Happy it is helpful to you too!
Curious, what does your therapist expect it to accomplish for you?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Happy it is helpful to you too!
Curious, what does your therapist expect it to accomplish for you?

She wants it to help with my mood and my emotional regulation and frustration tolerance.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:43 am
my 12 year old just started it a few months ago

he is on vyvanse (for adhd) and risperdol
he started this as he still have terrible emotional disregulation
it took at least 3 weeks but now I do see a difference - he is finally doing better in school.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes he may be HFASD. Would that make a difference as far as will medication work for him to be less rigid in thoughts and less obsessive in his ideas?
(He is not agitated. I know resperidal is often helpful for aggression/agitation)

If your child has ASD (HF or not won’t matter) - the ASD brain doesn’t process meds the same way snd sometimes meds for ADHD or other things OCD won’t have the full affects or any as intended, or may cause side effects to be pronounced more. Sometimes ASD makes sensitivity to meds heighten (something doctors have said)

If rigid thoughts stem from OCD, often, OCD means that anxiety medications given for anxiety won’t work well unless on higher doses, because OCD related anxiety needs higher doses for its anxiety (rigid/obsessions or other) manifestations. Again, doctors information (not my own).

Good luck and glad you have the space to share.

By the way, Abilify can have a side effect, at certain doses, of making one super-hungry, often for carbs/sugars/nosh. Not everyone has this, but can happen.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 6:15 am
My HFASD/ADHD 14 year old DS has been taking Abilify for several months to help with irritability and emotional regulation.

His frustration tolerance has increased, so he doesn’t get angry as quickly, and he is more physically and emotionally regulated even when he is upset.

He had previously been on Adderall and Prozac, but after he punched through a window during a tantrum, the psychiatrist finally believed me that a behavioral approach wasn’t enough for controlling his outbursts. You can’t “drain a full bathtub” in an instant, and once he is on a roll, there is nothing we can do to instantaneously “drain” the chemicals in his nervous system that are making him lash out in a (almost literal) blind rage. So we keep him stabilized constantly, so that the highs and lows of his moods aren’t so swingy.

BH it has made a significant difference and my house doesn’t feel like a war zone all the time anymore.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:58 am
My teen has been on abilify for 3.5 years now. Takes it for mood stabilization. Tolerates it well. I don't see side effects except that it makes him more tired than most kids. He's on a fairly low dose, 2 mg. We see much worse side effects from the ADHD stimulants than from this. But you do need to monitor cholesterol levels long term on abilify.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:14 am
It's interesting that a lot of people are mentioning emotion regulation. This kid doesn't have rages BH. (Don't be jealous, my other kids have that Wink) but he does get very emotionally hyper, like on a high. I wonder if it will help make him be calmer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:12 am
Whats considered "low dose"?

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 8:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Whats considered "low dose"?
Honestly, I don't know. But I was under the impression that my child's 2mg is considered low.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:09 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
Honestly, I don't know. But I was under the impression that my child's 2mg is considered low.

Yes, a typical dose can be 5-10 mg or even 15. So 2 mg is low.

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:58 pm
Has anyone had an issue with weight gain. Considering starting for DC 11 but I've read a lot about excessive weight gain and I'm worried.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 5:01 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Has anyone had an issue with weight gain. Considering starting for DC 11 but I've read a lot about excessive weight gain and I'm worried.
My child was severely underweight when he started abilify, so this was not a concern to me. Also, he takes ADHD meds too, which have the opposite effect, so I can't really answer accurately to this.
My gut feeling is I'd try it first and see. However, if you have a daughter who is already overweight or very self-conscious about her weight, maybe I'd look for a better option first.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics