Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Lisp

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:55 am
Goes away on its own?
Three year old
Needs intervention?

bsy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 11:59 am
Not yet. Unless it's a lateral lisp which sounds slushy

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 12:03 pm
Three is too young. Sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes you can start speech at age five or so.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:32 pm
My nephew is a lor still has one. Didn't have an impact on his life at all. One of my most talented, most accepted between peers teenagers have one. Doesn't bother the kid in the least bit. I would let it go.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:41 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My nephew is a lor still has one. Didn't have an impact on his life at all. One of my most talented, most accepted between peers teenagers have one. Doesn't bother the kid in the least bit. I would let it go.

It sometimes doesn't impact a person's life. But more often than not it does.

It's such an easy thing to fix! It doesn't take long either. Kids actually enjoy it. Usually covered by insurance. Why not do it and give your child the best shot at it?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:14 pm
It’s the forward motion of the tongue pushing against or through teeth that can affect oral development. Child might need orthodontics later on due to this. Usually comes with tongue thrust which is a forward swallow. Typically we bring tongue towards back of mouth when swallowing.
Just FYI

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:19 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
It’s the forward motion of the tongue pushing against or through teeth that can affect oral development. Child might need orthodontics later on due to this. Usually comes with tongue thrust which is a forward swallow. Typically we bring tongue towards back of mouth when swallowing.
Just FYI
Lisping and tongue thrust are symptoms of tongue tie and poor tongue posture

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:17 pm
Most speech therapists won't treat lisps or other letter mispronunciations until age 4 minimum. Many self correct by age 4. This is what happened with my daughter with mispronunciatikn of letters - she suddenly started speaking correctly just after she turned 4.

So wait a year. In addition to that, for some they wait until age 6 -my lisp hadn't corrected by 1st grade, so I got speech therapy at age 6 or 7, but that was the 90s. I do have to say, apparently I don't pronounce S and Z completely properly, but I can't hear thr difference and it is very mild, not like the full out lisp I had as a kid where I couldn't pronounce S or Z at all. Maybe it would have been better to start earlier and maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

So probably best to leave it until your child is 4 to see if it self corrects, but if it doesn't then don't wait longer, because sometimes the later your do therapy, the less effective it is.

But ask an actual speech therapist, this is just based on my experiences.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers