Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Not picking up on colors
Previous  1  2

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:57 pm
When dd was ready for kindergarten I wasn't sure if she knew her colors or not. Or was color blind. At the kindergarten interview the teacher took out a puzzle which was just round circles. Each a different color. The teacher asked her "which is the color of an apple?" dd picked green. I looked at the teacher and said "I only buy granny smith apples". Then the teacher asked dd "does your mommy wear lipstick?" Dd nodded her head, but I shook my head saying 'NO'. Then she asked dd 'what color is a fire engine?" and dd picked the red piece. And that's how I finally knew that dd wasn't color blind! And did know the difference in colors, if not the names of them yet.
(This dd has a few kids of her own by now)

UQT

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:02 pm
My son couldn’t get colors and turned out he is color bind. It’s two random colors that he sees off but it made the whole concept confusing and it took him quite a while to learn colors

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:02 pm
My Dd who is very bright had a hard time with colors. She didn’t pick it up till she was 3 1/2. I was concerned but she knew how to sort colors so I knew it wasn’t a major problem. I would first try to see if your child can sort colors and take it from there.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:23 pm
UQT wrote:
My son couldn’t get colors and turned out he is color bind. It’s two random colors that he sees off but it made the whole concept confusing and it took him quite a while to learn colors

There are actually multiple types of color blindness. Grayscale is pretty rare but there are many variations. Some can't (or not well) see red, some green, some people blue. Based off these then certain colors would look similar. Eg- People who have the red type see the world in yellows, greens and blues. Because once you take red out of the picture that's all that is left.

It is more common in boys because it is an X chromosome gene. So girls have a double copy to compensate.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:51 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Coming to Summer season… I found many of my kids learned colors with freeze pops! They hear older kids asking for specific colors and catch in quick!!

Haha yes!
In the beginning I was still able to give him whatever color came out even if he said a different one, but he quickly learnt.
I buy the clear ones, only the wrapper has a bit of color!

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:59 am
My dd could sort colors beautifully but didn't know their names. She learned them at 4.

She is in speech therapy for language.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:29 am
This is so interesting to me because just this week I was working on a project for work, removing all necessity to see color from a math book. I was saying how annoying it was to have to remove a really useful aspect of the book for the few kids who can't see colors. Like "color even numbers blue and odd numbers red". I know color-blindness exists, but is it really so common?

Anonymiss 1

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:56 am
amother Puce wrote:
This is so interesting to me because just this week I was working on a project for work, removing all necessity to see color from a math book. I was saying how annoying it was to have to remove a really useful aspect of the book for the few kids who can't see colors. Like "color even numbers blue and odd numbers red". I know color-blindness exists, but is it really so common?

My son is color-blind. (Not fully grayscale.) When I told his teacher (it’s relevant in preschool and early elementary, as a lot of assignments are color-based) she told me she typically has at least one every year.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 3:15 am
Anonymiss 1 wrote:
My son is color-blind. (Not fully grayscale.) When I told his teacher (it’s relevant in preschool and early elementary, as a lot of assignments are color-based) she told me she typically has at least one every year.

Wow! Now that is fascinating. I never in my life met someone color-blind. I know some types are more common in boys, so if I grew up frum and was with only girls I guess that could explain it, but I didn't. I was always in co-ed classes. I guess it might not come up in older grades for lack of relevance? And I wouldn't necessarily have known as a little kid. Very interesting!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers