Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Writing a book help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:13 pm
Working on some ideas for books in my field.
Wondering how one manages the legal aspect of quoting other books? Can one reference books?

Say I was writing an analysis of another published book. Is that ok? Whats the fine line? Trying to be vague but say I am a high school teacher and created a manual for teaching it or whatever. With a twist that hasn't been done before comparing it to other books etc.

Also, whats the process for writing a book? Non Jewish world.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:14 pm
If you quote someone else's work you MUST credit the author, usually with footnotes. Footnotes go either at the bottom of the page or at the end of the work. Each field has its own style for such credits, but there are general style manuals for writers such as the classic Strunk and White's The Elements of Style.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 9:43 pm
Right. Quoting would definitely have quotations and references noted. I was wondering if there were any other requirements

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:43 am
Depending on how much you're quoting, you may have to get prior written permission from the author. You can't just take a whole chapter out of a book and footnote it at the end.

Many works state "no portion of this work may be (long string of synonyms for 'quoted' and 'reproduced') without express written permission from the author, except for short passages quoted for the purposes of review in a newspaper or magazine" or words to that effect.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:15 am
Depending on your field there writing formats like APA or MLA which include quotation rules - you can get a manual or alternatively look for an editor familiar with your field.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 3:20 am
Putting the legal part aside for a minute, if you use someone else's ideas extensively, you may want to credit them even if it's not required. I say that because I remember seeing a particular idea in a frum book that was clearly taken from a secular book I had read. It's a unique and original method. It really lowered my respect for the author that she was trying to pass this off as her own innovation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics