Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Oversight panel s/o

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:19 am
Any other professionals here -I’m an slp with a private practice in the field for over 20 years-feeling supremely frustrated by the duping of the general frum population as well as the naïveté and vulnerability of parents. I’m so supremely frustrated as I have to deal with the fallout in my practice when parents can’t discern between reality and fantasy, tried and true intervention and quackery. Why is there no organization set up yet to address this-I would be so interested in organizing a groups to provide oversight, education and referrals to parents. Do you think relief resources would be the right place to start? Open to suggestions.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:21 am
In response to a question by amother on the original thread:
Professional ethics adhered to by most (or likely all, although I haven’t researched this) professional organizations require documentation and record keeping of both evaluation and treatment sessions , methodology based on sound scientific research with replicable results , firmly established goals for intervention, and methods for assessing progress. So many parents pay thousands of dollars for interventions that meet none of these criteria, resulting in a lot of skepticism and confusion about educational intervention fields in general well as resource burnout. If parents were able to be guided directly to effective intervention that works, the effects would be enormous.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:23 am
Does Agudah's Yahalom do this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:26 am
I don’t know about Yahalom. Who runs it, there’s no team reported on the website.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know about Yahalom. Who runs it, there’s no team reported on the website.

Tova Wacholder

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:27 am
The problem is that many people equate "mainstream" with "unsafe/ unreliable/ scam," ironically enough. Or are you seeing this with people who typically do adhere to mainstream views?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:30 am
Re Yahalom it seems to be geared to the special needs population. Is that right?

My concern is directed to those parents of children with learning disabilities or other educational difficulties who are otherwise developmentally wnl.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:31 am
amother Khaki wrote:
The problem is that many people equate "mainstream" with "unsafe/ unreliable/ scam," ironically enough. Or are you seeing this with people who typically do adhere to mainstream views?

Can you clarify-do you feel that the mainstream professionals are viewed by some as scammers and the scammers are viewed as reliable?

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Re Yahalom it seems to be geared to the special needs population. Is that right?

My concern is directed to those parents of children with learning disabilities or other educational difficulties who are otherwise developmentally wnl.

Yes Yahalom is geared toward SN.

Maybe reach out though, they may have information for you.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Can you clarify-do you feel that the mainstream professionals are viewed by some as scammers and the scammers are viewed as reliable?

I mean that for some people, the more alternative/ non- mainstream something is, the more they respect and trust it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:56 am
OP I'm confused

I'm a school based SLP and I have no idea what you're talking about. can you explain?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:01 am
Are you saying parents are disillusioned with mainstream therapy sessions because they are not seeing results and they're then turning to alternative/non mainstream therapy help?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:54 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Are you saying parents are disillusioned with mainstream therapy sessions because they are not seeing results and they're then turning to alternative/non mainstream therapy help?

If you're asking me, no- I'm talking about people who have the belief that a daas yachid type of belief, one that is alternative and not recommended by the mainstream, is automatically going to be be more attractive than anything mainstream.

But maybe is talking about something else. Maybe she's referring to parents who are so desperate for a quick cure, they fall for quackery.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:18 pm
There are these kinds of professional organizations that provide oversight and a person who needs services should approach their evaluation of therapists (or anything important) by doing their own due diligence.

Get referrals from trusted sources - read about it from reliable trusted sources so that one has some ability to ask intelligent questions and evaluate the responses.

This is true for everything. Why would you buy a car, appliance, a house, make investments, have surgery - really anything that is important and/or expensive would have most prudent people getting as much information as possible to make as informed a decision as possible.

In terms of the specific question. I don't know whether there is a certain segment of frum people who are culturally suspicious of "mainstream" or convention sources or whatever you want to call it. I see that quite a bit on threads which sometimes are a bit out there.

On the other hand, there are a lot of secular people who make ill informed decisions based on poor information; unwillingness to do any amount of research and/or inability to evaluable information on any kind of level in terms of whether it is "quality" or coming from some fruitcake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics