Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chicago stopover

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:59 am
Going to dh's family in a city that doesn't have direct flights to Israel.
In the past we have stopped in New York or Atlanta, but this time the cheapest tickets where thru chicago.

Way in is a quick turnover, but on the way out, we get to Chicago at 9 pm and we have our flight Israel the next day at 3.

I was looking to book a hotel in the airport - is that a safe place to book?
Where can I buy/ order food, can dh grab minyanim?
Anywhere we should go in the morning before our flight?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 6:17 am
I think the airport hotels are pretty safe, just might be pricy. Downtown- where all the museums/attractions are is about 20 min away from Ohare IIRC. The airport is about 45 minutes away from the Jewish community. You can order food using ubereats probably... By the way, are you flying United? I don't think they are restarting their direct Chicago routes until at least September.... and I don't know of any other direct flights from Chicago... so worth it to check, just saying:)

ETA that many of the kosher restaurants close at surprisingly early hours. It's like they think no Jews are hungry after 7 PM. I think Crunch Kosher (fleishigs) and Rocket Slice (pizza) might be open late but I am not sure, worth it to check.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:06 am
Downtown is significantly farther than 20 minutes from ORD. It may only be 20 minutes from Midway, but from O'hare it's about 45.

West Rogers Park is where most of the Jews live, with lots of shuls and restaurants. You could also check out Skokie, which has a Holiday Inn where you could stay and be close to all the Jewish amenities. If there, make sure you stock up on Romanian's delicious deli meats!

Or you could stay downtown and see the Sears/Willis Tower, Michigan Ave., Bean, Navy Pier, but the minyan and food options there are much more limited, so choose what's most important to you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:11 am
amother Clematis wrote:
I think the airport hotels are pretty safe, just might be pricy. Downtown- where all the museums/attractions are is about 20 min away from Ohare IIRC. The airport is about 45 minutes away from the Jewish community. You can order food using ubereats probably... By the way, are you flying United? I don't think they are restarting their direct Chicago routes until at least September.... and I don't know of any other direct flights from Chicago... so worth it to check, just saying:)

ETA that many of the kosher restaurants close at surprisingly early hours. It's like they think no Jews are hungry after 7 PM. I think Crunch Kosher (fleishigs) and Rocket Slice (pizza) might be open late but I am not sure, worth it to check.

Yeah - its not a direct flight - we are changing in Rome, but its a quick change
It was way cheaper then flying to ny and flying direct there

Is there a fun children's museum downtown?
Anywhere my husband can get shachris in downtown - or is that only in the jewish area's?
Any food options at all when we land or should we shlep with us?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah - its not a direct flight - we are changing in Rome, but its a quick change

Anywhere my husband can get shachris in downtown - or is that only in the jewish area's?

not much of a kosher selection beyond lay's potato chips and coke in the airport. There is a 24 hour supermarket- Jewel Osco but it's far...

There is a wonderful Children's museum at Navy Pier

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:37 am
amother Clematis wrote:
not much of a kosher selection beyond lay's potato chips and coke in the airport. There is a 24 hour supermarket- Jewel Osco but it's far...

There is a wonderful Children's museum at Navy Pier

It's not terribly far, as airports go, Ohare is pretty close to the frum community. Jewel is a 35-40 minute drive from the airport.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:

When we were there many years ago we stayed downtown and DH davened shacharis at the Loop minyan near our hotel, but someone he recently recommended it to told him that they may have gotten rid of their mechitza, so definitely check it out before relying on it.

As mentioned, the children's museum at the Navy Pier is excellent, but again, not near food or minyan, so you'll need to prioritize what's more important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics