Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What if you had a whole day to yourself?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:13 pm
I recently quit my job and my kids are in school all day. I truly thought with all of this free time I would be so productive- exercise, declutter and organize, learn, take up a new hobby, volunteer more often, read, cook more etc. But I find I am completely wasting my days! I am so disappointed in myself. I'm so addicted to my phone even though I'm the one who is always preaching for everybody to stay off their phones. Truth is though even if it wasn't for my phone I would find other ways to waste time. Any advice? Inspiration? Help me from becoming a total waste of space on this planet

Ps I would have posted this somewhere else but the other forums were anonymous disabled

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:19 pm
I really want a day off without my kids so I can do a real good clean of m house, I mean 24 hours so I have plenty of time.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:23 pm
First off, so happy for you to be able to be home!

That was me when I first stopped working. All kids were out. Took me a good few months to figure out a routine and schedule. It’s a new world, entire different pace of life.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:27 pm
Not having structure is very difficult.
When someone is working out of the house and has a day off it’s so much more rewarding than someone who all her days “off” from working out of the house. “Something that can be done anytime is done no time.” It’s normal.

Last edited by Bleemee on Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:27 pm
Hire a cleaning lady for a day and work with her!! Your house will be clean and ready for pesach! You'll be motivated to work but she's there and can help you move the beds and heavy stuff.
The next day you can reward yourself with a fancy coffee.
Next time it's a nice day outdoor call a friend and ask her to go walking with you for an hour!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:30 pm
You need to make a schedule and incorporate time for yourself to browse on your phone. Ex: Monday- clean up from weekend , menu planning for the week, organize section of the house, Tuesday -exercise, appointments like Dr, dentist . Wednesday - shuir, grocery shopping,errands , getting together with a sister or friend, Thursday -cook for Shabbos, Friday - relax on couch or go walking . Of course every morning set aside 45 min to an hour for davening . Hope this is helpful

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:33 pm
I made a new rule that the iPhone stays in my room. Flip phone for phone calls and the occasional texts. Keeps me productive during the day and focused when the kids are home.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:36 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I made a new rule that the iPhone stays in my room. Flip phone for phone calls and the occasional texts. Keeps me productive during the day and focused when the kids are home.

Interesting idea. Two different phone numbers?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:37 pm
so I dont have kids and am currently between jobs, so I feel ya.

what I find helps me is to get fully dressed in the morning, if im in sweats all day I just rot in my house and dont get anything done. I force myself out of the house, whether its for a grocery run or just a walk in a local park; anything.

UQT

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:00 pm
When I worked there was so much stuff I crammed into my life. Exercised at night, grocery shopping with the kids, laundry all day Sunday , mumbled brochos in the car on the way to work. Now when the kids are home I’m just present. I daven after they leave, then work out and shower. By the time the day starts it’s 11. I can focus on supper, laundry and shopping. I occasionally meet some friends for lunch. Once you shuffle those things you should be filling up your day more constructively

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:22 pm
giftedmom wrote:

I e been thinking of doing this ! How do you make it work with phone numbers? I think I d be a much better mother if the distraction was away but I do need to be accessible by phone. This is a great idea

TCR

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:10 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
I e been thinking of doing this ! How do you make it work with phone numbers? I think I d be a much better mother if the distraction was away but I do need to be accessible by phone. This is a great idea

there is an option that if the iphone is off, the number can be forwarded to the simple phone.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:18 pm
TCR wrote:
there is an option that if the iphone is off, the number can be forwarded to the simple phone.
m
How?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics