Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Newborn on Arizona Taxes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:39 am
I know that for federal tax returns, if the child lived with you since birth, that counts as the whole year.
I know that you can claim a dependent that was born anytime during the year.
My question is for Arizona state tax returns, it asks how many months each child lived with you: How many months is that, for a newborn? And how do you count partial months?

I'm hoping someone knows the answer, because none of my research has found me an answer Sad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:58 pm
In case anyone searches this in the future: the DOR told me that it's the number of months from when baby was born (including the month they were born in)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:01 pm
Turbotax told me that since my baby was born this year it counts as the whole year. Cuz no one else is claiming them for the other half of the year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Turbotax told me that since my baby was born this year it counts as the whole year. Cuz no one else is claiming them for the other half of the year.

I assume you're talking about the question on the federal tax return that I mentioned in the OP.
If you're talking about state tax returns (not all states have this question) then you may want to double check that. I would expect the dept of revenue themselves to know better than turbotax, but who knows.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I assume you're talking about the question on the federal tax return that I mentioned in the OP.
If you're talking about state tax returns (not all states have this question) then you may want to double check that. I would expect the dept of revenue themselves to know better than turbotax, but who knows.

Makes sense. I didn't get up to my state taxes yet. So you are ahead of me lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics