Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special Instructor- what do you think?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:21 pm
I'm a SI. I work with kids in their homes or daycare. I have one case that the parents treat me like a babysitter. When I come they want to play on their phone, hang out in the other room or do work. Even the dad said okay now that you're here I will take advantage and work. I think it's so rude. The whole point of EI SI is to work with the parents or daycare to help them. Not to babysit. Should I say something to my boss like how to handle it? Or just suck it up and deal?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:36 pm
Can you tell the parent that EI is a parent training model and you need their involvement in the session

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm a SI. I work with kids in their homes or daycare. I have one case that the parents treat me like a babysitter. When I come they want to play on their phone, hang out in the other room or do work. Even the dad said okay now that you're here I will take advantage and work. I think it's so rude. The whole point of EI SI is to work with the parents or daycare to help them. Not to babysit. Should I say something to my boss like how to handle it? Or just suck it up and deal?

Hmm strange my sons SI and Speech both preferred I went to the other room. The kids rather be with their parents then work with the therapists. Which I get. After the session they would tell me things to work with at home.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:00 pm
Aren't you working with the child, instructing them? Why are you calling it babysitting. It's therapy!

eta14

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:01 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Hmm strange my sons SI and Speech both preferred I went to the other room. The kids rather be with their parents then work with the therapists. Which I get. After the session they would tell me things to work with at home.

My agency follows a parent instruction model. Also, it sounds like you were willing to be involved but the set up not in the room worked best. I always was happy to do whatever the therapist wanted but most parents are involved or the daycare teachers are engaged. It's this specific family it's like they wait for me to come. The mom was out at the supermarket and the dad said "she took a chance for when you were coming" and low and behold showed up ad I was leaving. I just feel like if you need a babysitter, get one. I'm not a babysitter.

eta14

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:07 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Aren't you working with the child, instructing them? Why are you calling it babysitting. It's therapy!

Ages 0 to 3 is EI. At least where I work it is mostly based on a parent and caregiver instruction model. The reason I feel they act as if it's babysitting is because they show no interest in the sessions. They don't ask what they did. They use it to run errands and work. That's not the point. In fact, it's really against the rules for them to not be in the room (but I get that for some kids that wouldn't work) in the beginning they seemed to care and we made some progress but now they have no interest....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics