Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How much should a mother be involved for older elementary ki

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:38 pm
I hope it's OK to post in this section I am a parent of a 6th grader my oldest daughter. I'm trying to fuligure out if there is a norm here. My insolvent in general and in the following scenarios.

My daughter has had really experienced teachers. I hardly ever had to get involved. If ever maybe a mention of a small issues in the younger years and teachers always responded promptly. This year my 6th grader seemed to have a bigger issue. I was suprised becaused the teacher at p.ta was so positive in everything she said. I touched on a part of the issue and she agreed with me that it's a problem. She didn't mention the whole issue or anything else helpful. It was more her asking me my opinion or what I know about the small part I mentioned. The conversation didn't get to the bigger issue, I wasn't sure if I should mention it. I know my daughter's teacher is aware of the whole issue. My daughter has asked for my help and her teacher as well. I know I'm trying to help my daughter and her teacher is actively helping her too, but shouldn't The teacher be working with the parent as a team? Is this typical involvement of the parent at this age? Should I be talking more to the teacher? Part of what I would say would be like my daughter got annoyed that you suggested this. So she came to me. Its a big problem why didnt you mention anything to me. My daughter doesn't have confidence that you can....should I ask my daughter first? I think some of it my daughter wouldn't tell her teacher because she would feel it's not Derech Eretz. She would probably also feel embarrassed if I told her that I told the teacher she felt this way. What should I do? I think the problem will only grow bigger because my daughter is not telling the teacher some important information. I was also thinking of telling the teacher a little background but maybe it's unnecessary to solve the problem.

TravelHearter

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:19 pm
It’s a little hard to follow your post, as you’re trying to be vague and it gets confusing.
Why don’t you just call the teacher up?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:48 pm
6th grade is still young and I think your expectations for a 6th graders maturity and responsibility are too advance.

I teach 8th graders and at 8th grade I try to go to the student first and then the parent when there's an issue but many 8th graders can still have challenges when it comes to responsibility.

I think a parents involvement in 6/7 grade is still reasonable when it comes to challenges that involve academics or a teacher/ adult where as with friends they should be guided to figure it out more on own for social reasons
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics