Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Feeding experts-which high chair is best?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:15 pm
Are there any feeding therapists here that can suggest a good high chair? I’ve heard a footrest is important and not too much of a gap between baby and tray. I was looking into the peg perego siesta but I see some comments about a large space between baby’s body and tray. IKEA high chair has both of those issues.

Cookin4days

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:31 pm
My friend looked into it and decided on the Stokke steps chair for when she started baby led weaning

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:39 pm
Not an expert by any stretch... but I'm really happy with our good old fisher price booster seat.
-Tray is close to body
-Child can rest feet on chair it is sitting on
-Doesn't take up a lot if space
-Not expensive
-Comes with tray cover can use for milchig/fleishig.
-Easy to clean!

Much happier with it than our bigger, pricier highchair.

Downside is that tray doesn't swing open, you need to fully remove and put down somewhere to get child out.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:17 am
We had the ikea one and my kids did fine in it- feeding themselves very young (modified baby led weaning). Is there a specific concern you have that you feel like you need the BEST?

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:06 am
Stokke tripp trapp

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:16 am
Thank you. I see the stokke but it doesn't look like it leans back. Is that something important?
IKEA doesn’t have a footrest, and has a huge gap between seat and baby’s body (at least for infants)

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:18 am
Why would you need it to lean back? It's for eating which should be done upright

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:21 am
I have the stokke trip trapp and my kids love it, they use it until they are tall enough to sit in a regular chair so that's until about 9 years old or so.. I have a few because they are much more comfortable on the trip trapp then a regular chair which is too low for them.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 8:24 am
I have the IKEA, you can get a footrest that works with it on Amazon. You can also get the inflatable cushion that goes behind the baby and brings them closer to the tray. If it's not enough I put a folded towel/washcloth behind the cushion. (Think bring the child to the tray instead of the tray to the child) My child had low tone and seating posture was very important.
Funny enough I tried a few highchairs and somehow the shape of the seat in the IKEA had my child sitting more upright than some others.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:03 am
Can anyone post a link?

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:10 am
I have the bugaboo and so far I’ve been using it with the baby seat (separate purchase) but to adjust the baby’s seat and footrest is very easy and it’s easy to clean. With my other I had the stokke clik clak and while I did love it there was a big space between baby n tray but that doesn't bother me also with stokke I found NOTHING would stick to the tray (toys plate etc) no matter what brand I bought

mom923

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:43 am
We use the ikea highchair too. Got a footrest on Amazon was easy to install. For the first week or so I had to prop baby up and push her closer to the tray. But now she’s sitting nicely independently.
Love the ikea one because it’s so easy to wipe down and clean. Even if I leave it for a bit. I scrub every part, there’s no food getting mashed into fabric or hiding in hidden nooks and crannies.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:12 pm
amother Navy wrote:
I have the IKEA, you can get a footrest that works with it on Amazon. You can also get the inflatable cushion that goes behind the baby and brings them closer to the tray. If it's not enough I put a folded towel/washcloth behind the cushion. (Think bring the child to the tray instead of the tray to the child) My child had low tone and seating posture was very important.
Funny enough I tried a few highchairs and somehow the shape of the seat in the IKEA had my child sitting more upright than some others.

I agree. We tried others and eventually purchased the ikea for the same reason. With the cushion until baby was older. Yeah there is a small gap but whatever it wasn’t the biggest deal for the price range.
Sounds like the OP is willing to spend more in order to find something that doesn’t need any adjustments made to it (for the record we didn’t have any foot rest and none of my kids seemed to care). But for anyone looking for the best high chair and budget is an issue I always recommend the ikea one. Baby can reach food more easily than with many others and the clean up can’t compare to any other high chair out there.

scintilla

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Navy wrote:

This. The tripp trapp is certainly the best but it's quite expensive. Worth it, but expensive.

One of the companies that makes the footrest for the Ikea one also makes a washable cover for the cushion, it's great. I think it's called nibble and rest.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:47 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Can anyone post a link?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/a.....8434/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics